Question about Bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irisndfan2

Reaction score
Ok so I am going to be doing my frist brew by myself over Christmas break. I am brewing a basic amber ale. Do to time constraints I was planning on having it in primary for about 10 days. Now heres my question. I can bottle straight from primary correct? Also can I siphon into a secondary bucket, add the sugar and then bottle from the second bucket, or will that accomplish nothing? Im talking about on the same day, transfer to a secondary bucket(im not going to let it sit in secondary), and then bottle it immediately from that bucket? thanks.

Here ya go:

Once fermentation is done: Make sure to check that it's reached expected FG, or you could be making BOTTLE BOMBS!

Mix water and sugar in small pan and boil for a few minutes
Pour this into bottling bucket (AKA secondary, but with a spigot (or siphon if you don't have a spigot...))
Transfer beer from primary into bottling bucket, creating a swirling, mixing flow.
Once beer is transferred, gently stirr some more with sanitized spoon to make sure it's mixed well.
Begin filling bottles.

Revvy has a very nice bottling FAQ with pointers that can really make it easy.

The important thing to know is that splashing or agitating too much may lead to oxidized beer down the road, so try to do everythign gently. Also, the bottom of the bucket, and the first bit of beer being transferred onto it, will cool the sugar mixture, so I dont' bother cooling it after boiling. There will still be plenty of live yeast to make bubbles.

The problem with bottling from a primary or secondary instead of using a bottling bucket, is that since you have patiently gone and let your beer settle and clear, in order to mix the priming solution and beer effectively, you would have to stir it in the carboy which would a) kick up all that nice sediment you have patiently let fall, b) possibly oxydize the beer.

It really defeats the purpose of both a long primary/no secondary or a secondary if you have to stir up all the nice sediment you patiently waited to settle just so you can have consistent carbonation.

You'll find a ton of good info here to make bottling easier.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/revvys-tips-bottler-first-time-otherwise-94812/

i did a first batch also. and i just racked and used a bottel filler attachment to my rack straight to my bottles.estimated the amout of sugar and put in sugar before i filled from primary.only thing was i didnt have a OG reading because i didnt get a hydro untill botteling day and now i dont know the final gravity reading.so i got worried about if it was done or not i did 8 days primary.got a 1.016 reading.but because i didnt check it 3 days later to see if it went down i have to worry about bottle bombs. hope this helps too

Back