question about bottling with mr. beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dheide

Reaction score
I got a Mr. Beer kit for Christmas, and started my first batch (High Country Canadian Draft). It was in the keg for 16 days when I bottled it (using Mr. Beer's 1 liter plastic bottles). The first bottle was pretty cloudy, bottles 2-7 were clear, and bottle 8 was very cloudy. I'm guessing the last bottle was cloudy because of all the stuff from the bottom, but why was the first bottle cloudy?

Another question too - they've been carbonating for only two days now and the very cloudy bottle is almost rock hard, is it gonna burst?

This is a great site, I've already learned alot just from reading the threads. My wife laughs at me cause I'm already addicted to this home brewing and my first batch isn't even done yet!

Thanks-
Dave

I was hoping to see the answer to your question since I'm new also. I was wondering if you moved your barrel before filling your bottles and stirred things up. If not you might have bottled to early. I had just the opposite problem you had my bottles didn't get hard until after 9 days and when I opened one my beer was kind if flat. They suggested that I tighten my caps and wait a little longer. Did your bottles explode? I would think if they were going to explode they would have by now. good luck

vanman250

If your keg is like my fermenter, your spigot probably caught some yeast that settled to the bottom during fermentation. Mine has a sediment reducer gizmo that has a slit on the top. Stuff can settle into the slit. Once the spigot clears out, the rest of the beer runs clear until you get to the bottom.

Yeah, I probably just bumped the keg before filling the first bottle. Nothing's exploded yet. The funny thing is, the first 7 bottles are pretty much the same as far as coludiness now. The first bottle has a bunch of stuff at the bottom and is clearing up, and bottles 2-7 are getting a little more cloudy each day. I can't stand waiting for them to carbonate, I squeeze the bottles four times a day to see if they're ready, I wanna drink them now!

dheide, i'm using the mr beer kits too, so far i've bottled 4 batches. sounds like it was in the keg long enough, if there weren't still bubbles rising and you didn't over do it with the priming sugar you should be ok. i've goten impatient once or twice and have cracked a few open after 4 days or so and the were carbonated some but get better after a week.

good luck

Back