Question about bottling day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thirdeye

Reaction score
So Im brewing my very first batch. This coming Saturday, it will have been in primary for two weeks. Im following the instructions on howtobrew.com, which doesnt mention doing a secondary fermentation. They say, primary for two weeks, then rack to a bottling bucket, and bottle. I was wondering if there would be any benefit in racking to my "bottling" bucket this Saturday (as scheduled), but instead of bottling that day, letting it sit for another week and calling it a "secondary" fermentaion. Then the following Saturday, prime and bottle the beer from the same bucket.

FYI, the bottle bucket is identical to my primary vessel, a 5 gallon plastic bucket with hole for an airlock.

The only problem I see in doing this, is that I will have to stir in the priming solution since the brew will already be in the bottling bucket. Dont know if I really wanna do that.

Whadya think? Worth it?

Just leave it in your primary fermenter for another week. If you transfer to your bottling bucket for a week you will get more trub that you will just stir back into solution with your priming sugar.

Since when are bottling buckets identical to a primary bucket? Do you have a spout in your primary also? ;)

DO NOT EVER use a bottling bucket for a secondary.

The purpose of a secondary is to give the beer time to age and mellow a bit as well as CLEAR. If you use a bottling bucket for that you'll just have to rouse the sediment off the bottom and re-cloud your brew. That would be a COMPLETE waste of time.

Go get some 5 gal carboys for secondaries and save the bottling bucket for its intended purpose. ;)

If that's all your instructions say then they are poorly written. One should never rack to a secondary unless your OG reading has dropped approximately 75%. Technically, it's done at this point.

If it's not dropped and you bottle without taking a gravity reading you just bottled still fermenting beer. There will be consequences...:mad:...bottle grenades...

A secondary is really for clearing. If you want a clear brew and LESS sediment in your bottles then you should secondary it for a couple of weeks.

Way too mant noobs are in a hurry to taste their first brews that they are drinking young beer and even though some insist it tastes good, allowing it to age and condition PROPERLY for the right amount of time and conditions will only result in a better brew.

homebrewer_99 said:
Since when are bottling buckets identical to a primary bucket? Do you have a spout in your primary also? ;)

Thanks for the tips. FYI, the two buckets that came with my brewing kit are identical. Its a "Malted Memories" brewing kit including two 5 gallon buckets with spigots and air lock holes.

Thirdeye said:
Thanks for the tips. FYI, the two buckets that came with my brewing kit are identical. Its a "Malted Memories" brewing kit including two 5 gallon buckets with spigots and air lock holes.

I drilled my primary bucket for a spigot....I think its great to take hydrometer readings, you dont have to pull the lid off....Also, when you are sanitizing it, if you fill it all the way up to rinse it you can open the spigot and let some drain out so its not so heavy.....Welcome to the Hobby Thirdeye....Let me know how your beer comes out, Im sure it will be great. :mug:

Back