Question about bottle conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyO

Reaction score
When conditioning for your 3 weeks (at least), should that all be at the same temp (60-70 deg.). I know it doesn't need to be refrigerated while it's still carbonating, but for those of you who age your beers for up to 5 weeks or so, is all that at "conditioning temp." and then refrigerated, or do you say, condition for two weeks, then put it in the fridge to continue aging. Just wondering since the kit that I brewed with says something like "store in a cool dark place for a week, then refrigerate for an additional 2 weeks."

Your beers needs a couple of weeks (or so) to carbonate. That happens best at around 70 degrees. After carbonation occurs, that's the time for conditioning. So, you can cool them anytime after they're carbonated. I usually keep them at 65 (that's the warmest room in my house in the fall/winter/spring) until they are carbed up, then move them to the laundry room (in the 50's) until I refrigerate them.

In short, you can refrigerate them any time after they carbonate.

so to clarify and add, let them carb in warmer temps (~70's), then can go anywhere?

I usually leave my bottles at room temp. for at least 3 weeks. Then I put bottles in the fridge as space becomes available.

As long as the temp isn't getting much over 70, it is not absolutely necessary to store at colder temps, although it is recommended for long term storage.

My problem is that, around this time of year, my apartment starts warming up. I just bottled today after 1 week in primary, 3 weeks secondary, and it is mid 70's outside, which my apartment absorbs all of. And, when it cools off outside overnight, my apt likes to stay warm.

Basically, there is no "cool" place in my apt right now. I expect my bottles to carb in the low-mid 70's for the next 3 or 4 days, and then the weather is supposed to get colder afterwards and my beer storage area (a closet) will come down to 60's.

I am a helpless slave to my climate. And I'm not going to crank on the AC already just for my beer :)

Anyone else in this situation?

Back