question about beer comp. registry. can someone help a noob??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AintLifeGrand

Reaction score
I am very excited to be participating in my very first beer competition that will be judged next month, but a little confused on one part of the registration.

On the online registration there is a spot to put the name of the brew, ok i get that. Then the style, I'm good to go there. But the next bit of information the way I'm a little confused about.

This section says "special ingredients, classic style, and/or special procedures." followed by "(required for categories 6D,16E,17F,20,21,22B,22C,23,25C,26A,26C,27E,28B-D,and all custom styles)"

There is a blank spot for you to type in but I'm not sure I need to or not. The beer I'm entering is an American Wheat (category 6D) so I am required to type something in this blank. My recipe doesnt have any special ingredients as far as i know. just 2 row, wheat malt, flaked wheat, and hops. so do I just type in classic style? Im so confused. :smack:

Thanks in advance for anyone who reads this and responds, I am hoping the online registration is similar to other competitions and someone will know what to do. Thanks!!

For 6D, you need to indicate whether the primary ingredient is wheat or rye. So just type in "Wheat" in the box, and you will be fine. If you don't put anything in, they will assume wheat so you would probably be OK, but I would indicate just to be sure.

You don't really want to type in the special ingredients unless you are entering the specialty category. The categories where Rye is acceptable requires you to enter the % of rye in the brew, if applicable.

Besides that, leave that section blank. In all of the other categories, you will be judged against the style guidelines, and entering your grain bill only helps the judges find deductions. Leave it blank!

Thanks!! I will just indicate wheat in that blank.

OK, on more question. There is a section stating:

"Optional Information The information below is not required to process your entry. However, the more information you provide about your entry, the more complete the required entry documentation will be."

In this section they want to know every little detail about every part of the brewing process. It says optional so obviously I don't have to put in this info, but in your opinion should I? I dont know what the common practice is among home brewers. I feel like I should leave all of that blank, but don't want to piss off the head honchos of the competition since my entry will be "less complete". thoughts?

You didn't specifically say in your OP, but if this is judged by BJCP judges, they DO NOT need and WILL NOT deduct for leaving all of that blank.

What they are saying is that if they detect some off flavors, and you list the detail of your brew/fermentation process, they can possibly tell you where the off flavor came from from the details of your process.

If you think you are at that stage of brewing where you need extended feedback, go for it. If I were you, I wouldn't list all that, though. Again, just gives the judges a nudge to be a little less objective, IMHO.

If you get your score sheets back and all of the judges note the same flaw, then just ask about it here on HBT. There are hundreds of people that are more than qualified to help you troubleshoot your process.

Good luck!

Thank you, TopherM! I appreciate you helping me figure this out. Also, this competition is sanctioned by the AHA/BJCP.

It would be a lot less confusing if they just said that is what the extra info is for instead of stating "your entry will be more complete" lol. I am going to leave all of that blank, they aint getting my secret recipe :ban:

Thanks again. Happy brewing. I will most likely report back in july on how my beer did. btw this is for the Alabama brew off competition, the first legal comp. ever in bama. I registered last night and just got in by the skin of my teeth. only 250 entries allowed and I was 220 something. They filled all entry spots a couple hours after I entered.

Back