Question About an Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wemet

Reaction score
I brewed Midwest Supplies' Oatmeal Stout Extract Kit a little while ago. I did a full volume boil and ended up with about 5.25gal in the fermentor when I was done. The OG seemed a couple points low (1.039) compared to what the instructions were saying (1.042 - 1.046). It finished right where the instructions said it should, however (1.012). I bottled it last week, and although I know it's too early, I tried one after only 7 days in the bottles. I found the it to be too light in colour and in body for a stout. It didn't have the thick mouthfeel that I would associate with a good oatmeal stout. I brewed Midwest Supplies' Autumn Amber Ale Extract Kit previously and I would say this Oatmeal Stout is similar to the Autumn Amber Ale, only a little darker, and with a hint of coffee.

My question...

1) Can I expect it to darken/thicken with more bottle conditioning time?

2) If not, would you think that the colour and body could have been improved if I had used a smaller boil volume or boiled it down until a higher OG was reached?

1) No, that won't really change in the bottle.

2) If it were boiled down more and had a higher OG then yeah, that would make a difference. Did it come out with a slightly lower OG because you accidentally had too much water in the boil or something?

2) If it were boiled down more and had a higher OG then yeah, that would make a difference. Did it come out with a slightly lower OG because you accidentally had too much water in the boil or something?

I would say you are on to something here given that these kits are usually partial boil. The recipe is usually calibrated for a 2.5 gallon boil.

1) Can I expect it to darken/thicken with more bottle conditioning time?

How long and at what temp did you steep your grains? The grains should be directly attributable to the color.

1) No, that won't really change in the bottle.

1) Shucks

2) Ya, I boiled for 60 minutes but when I transferred to the fermentor, I had a little more than 5gal.

1. Yes, your beer will continue to improve for some time. Being a stout, I'd suggest you put the bottles away for about 6 months and then try them again. I think you will be amazed at the change. It will continue to change for at least a year. The last stout I had that didn't get drunk too early spent more time than that as I finished the last bottle at 2 years at room temperature and it was the best one.

2. Yes, but don't be in a hurry to judge this beer.

3. I've been brewing for about 8 years now and know what to expect a porter to taste like. I bought a 6-pack of Lienenkugel's Vanilla Porter and it was so thin and flavorless. I wish they had hidden the entire batch of bottles away for 6 months because it would have been so much better by then.

1) Shucks

Sorry, I do want to clarify something. The beer will definitely CHANGE in the bottle and I'm sure improve as it matures, but it won't necessarily darken or become thicker, which is what I was saying no to :)

The problem with extract kits is that you get very little from the oats.

Unlike others, I don't expect it will change much. It is a low gravity beer, made to drink young. It may improve for the first 4 to 6 weeks, but not much after that.

Back