Question about an Oatmeal/Protein rest from a noob!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jknapp

Reaction score
Hey there all, first post here.. lemme stick my noobie arse out there.

I'm on my 4th batch (2nd All-Grain) and I'm going to do an Oatmeal Coffee Stout for the fall (yes, bummer that fall is coming)..

I'm going to use 1lb of Oatmeal in my mash, which is 8.33% of my grain bill. Do I need to do a beta-glucan rest? Palmer says to do so in the recipe section of How to Brew (Stout recipes), but in the Mash/Beta-Glucan section, he mentions that if an adjunct counts for less than 10% of the grain you needn't worry so much.

So, I'm not sure what to do.

Also, do I use run-of-the-mill, storebought oats? 1-minute? 5-minute? Steel cut? Or oats from the LHBS?

Any guidance you can provide would be most excellent..

Thanks,

Jknapp, Seattle

With a stout, I wouldn't bother. It's all about preventing chill haze and improving clarity...not exactly a problem in a jet black beer!

Flaked oats are cheap at my LHBS, so that's what I use. Otherwise, go for the "quick" oats at the supermarket.

Welcome to the forum! :mug:

I use flaked oats, 3 lbs in a 11 gallon batch. I do a rest at about 145*f to "de gum".

As I heat up to the next step, I can feel the grain loosen right up.

Do as you wish, it works for me.

This is probably the only step mash I do. Second batch of oatmeal stout, It goes fast.

I say do the rest as Palmer recommends. It sure makes sparging a lot easier in my experience.

I may have to try doing a rest somehow. I do an oatmeal stout that has 2.5 lb of oatmeal in a 5.5 gal batch, I tend to use a fair bit of rice hulls and try to get my sparge water very hot. I did a 11 gal batch one time and that was too much for my system and I had all sorts of stuck mash issues.

Does a step mash reduce any of the wonderful silkyness you get from the oatmeal though?

Guess I could pull out my old immersion chiller and set up a HERMS system.

I did my first AG last week with 1.6lbs of flaked oats (5.5g batch). I used a brand called "Jungle Oats" - I guess they're 5 min oats. Before I added it to the MLT I cooked it in the microwave with enough water to make it fairly loose once it was cooked. I didn't do a beta glucan rest, mashed at 154 and fly sparged at 175. No rice hulls. I had no sparging problems at all. Everything went like clockwork.

Does a step mash reduce any of the wonderful silkyness you get from the oatmeal though?

I don't think so. Here's a pic from my last stout. No shortage of mouthfeel on this one...

beer43.jpg

Back