Question about all of the sediment in unfiltered apple juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ICWiener

Reaction score
I'm still a bit of a cider rookie, I've only done 3 one gallon batches. They've all turned out great, and I'm getting ready for a 5 gallon batch. I have been using organic unfiltered pastuerized apple juice from whole foods (I think the brand is called North Coast), and it's been working out very well. I just add yeast and DAP, then slap an airlock right on top of the glass jug.

The apple juice itself has a ton of sediment in the jug. It doesn't seem to hurt the flavor of the cider when I ferment it out, but my question is this: I'm filling up a 5 gallon carboy for the next batch, should I just dump the apple juice in, sediment and all? Or should I rack the juice off of it? Would it be better for the cider to leave all of that crud behind, or is it contributing to the flavor of the finished product?

May as well rack off, such a rough filtration shouldn't effect anything.

Oh, and if we hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

I say just dump it all. You are going to have to rack off the yeast cake anyway so why worry yourself with racking off from a gallon jug when you will end up having to do the same for kegging/bottling??

Oh, and if we hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Nice.

We have failed to uphold Brannigan's Law. However I did make it with a hot alien babe. And in the end, is that not what man has dreamt of since first he looked up at the stars?

OKay then, so one vote for and one vote against. I suppose it doesn't matter. I'll just pour it in and go for it.

Back