question about all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommysauder

Reaction score
Ok so I BIAB total 11 lbs in approx 2 gallons of water. After 60 minute mash I sparged bag and let drip / compressed all the good juices out for 15 minutes. After a 60 minute boil I cooled quickly and had a total of 2.2 gallons in the fermenter. Topped up to 4.8 gallons with cold water and pitched. Fermentation is going on extremely well but I'm unsure if this practice Kevin with all grain? No gravity readings though

Sorry auto correct. Next batch I'll have the hydrometer. I was wondering if topping up with water is ok to do. I know a og reading would help but does adding water for a grain bill that size in only 2 gallon make sense ?

Topping off is okay as long as the water was bottled or had been previously boiled. I wouldn't top off with tap water. If fermentation is going, that is a good sign.

You'll get beer...that much is certain. I'm just not sure how good the efficiency will be mashing 11lb in 2 gal. With a hydrometer, I would suggest that you top-up to gravity rather than volume. Right now all you can do is wait...worst case scenario, you end up with a mild.

Yea tap water here is really good... the city actually encourages drinking it: http://www.hamilton.ca/CityDepartme...dWasteWaterDev/I_Drink_Hamilton_Tap_Water.htm

Ok so next time what I plan on doing is mashing with a cooler with a manifold on the bottom (can make cheaply). problem is boiling 7 gallons of wort. Lifting and pouring into fermenter will be a challenge unless i build a tap in place.

I appreciate all the input, this website is awesome!

for pouring into the fermenter, I sanitize a pitcher, and scoop up the wort with it and pour in. a lot easier to do than pick the whole kettle up and pour.

. Lifting and pouring into fermenter will be a challenge unless i build a tap in place.

I appreciate all the input, this website is awesome!

I use my auto siphon post chill. I do lift it from the burner to a counter first, but I agree. Lifting 5 gallons to pour doesn't sound reasonable.

Good Idea. From this last boil I learned the wort is EXTREMELY sticky. Ok so no I'm off to find an 8 gallon pot. Is aluminum ok? They seem to be WAY cheaper.

tommysauder said:
Is aluminum ok?

Absolutely. However, they do require MARGINALLY more care. You have to build up a passive oxide layer (basically you boil water for a little while before your first brew) and you have to be a little more careful when cleaning so you don't take the passive layer off. But lots of people use aluminum with no issue.

Back