Question about 20 oz CO2 Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MRT888

Reaction score
I'm looking to make my kegging setup mobile and was considering a 20 oz CO2 tank- a couple of questions came up:

Any preference on an adapter and normal regulator or a pin-valve regulator? Unfortunately my kegerator is a dual body dual guage cluncker that's too big to take anywhere conveniently so I'm afraid I have to buy another just for mobile ops.

Also, this is worrisome: I saw on the side of a 20 oz tank in the sporting goods' store that "this product contains a substance known by the state of California to cause cancer and birth defects" please wash hands after handing. or something to that effect. Anybody know what the deal with that is/ what said substance is?

Any other tips on going mobile are appreciated!

The tank has a brass end, because brass has a tiny amount of lead they have to have that label, it won't be in the gas.

Ahh gotcha- thanks for explaining that-

Anyone have any thoughts on the Pin-valve regulator vs. adapter and a cheap regulator?

Also- for dispensing- does the faucet attached to the disconnect work (assuming you bleed extra pressure first and serve at 1-3 psi)?
I've heard the picnic tap is tried and true but I'd rather not worry about more lines and trying to keep them touching ice or something...thoughts?

I went with the pin valve regulator because it is smaller than an adapter & regulator. If I had a spare regulator I may have gone with just that, but I am happy with the pin valve I got from keg connection.

i use a 20oz paintball tank with "The Adapter" that allows you to use a normal regulator. Works great, though I can see a smaller regulator being more portable.

I am building mine, and I bought the adapter. I have a dual body that I will be temp using on my keg-o-trash. Its all personal preference. When you build yours, what do you see yourself using?

hmm yeah- after reading up on it I decided the charger was not as convenient as it seemed, and the sexy mini regulator looks cool but is not at all in the budget right now- so I'm planning for a 20 oz tank and trying to decide between buying a cheap regulator and 'the adapter' or just the pin valve regulator from keg connection that was mentioned... Let me know if there are any other opinions!

$55 for the pin valve reg is a decent chunk of change, but my only other option is a cheap regulator for ~35 and the adapter for ~$13-15, so I spose the prices are close or equal, especially since the best priced regulator that I've seen is from keg connection and they don't carry the adapter, so I'd have to pay shipping from elsewhere.

I got the pin-valve regulator for mobility. I like that it's not too bulky. It's my third regulator. If it would have been my second one, I probably would have gone regular+adapter as I have more standard size tanks than paintball tanks.

Back