qucik yeast culture question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OBSCZONER

Reaction score
hey, i was drinking some Sierra nevada beer camp weizen bock and i had it in the fridge on its side, so the yeast cake in the bottle settlesd on the side. i poured my glass and realized i could possibly take this yeast and add it as my first installment to my yeast collection. I didnt have any DME or wort or anything on hand so i grabbed my 1000 ml flask and filled it to 400 ml with water. then added 3/4 cup of tabletop sugar. brought it to a boil and all tht for sanitation. Used candle sanitation and all that then pitched the sample at 65 F. its on a stir plate for a little while. you think i will be successful with this yeast culture? im not sure about the following steps so any help with this is appreciated or if i totally did it wrong let me know. i just read about it today and it sparked a bug you know. :) thanks for the time:mug:

It'll probably work fine, but my guess would be that you could probably get a healthier example of the same strain from the lower-gravity Kellerweis.

hey, i was drinking some Sierra nevada beer camp weizen bock and i had it in the fridge on its side, so the yeast cake in the bottle settlesd on the side. i poured my glass and realized i could possibly take this yeast and add it as my first installment to my yeast collection. I didnt have any DME or wort or anything on hand so i grabbed my 1000 ml flask and filled it to 400 ml with water. then added 3/4 cup of tabletop sugar. brought it to a boil and all tht for sanitation. Used candle sanitation and all that then pitched the sample at 65 F. its on a stir plate for a little while. you think i will be successful with this yeast culture? im not sure about the following steps so any help with this is appreciated or if i totally did it wrong let me know. i just read about it today and it sparked a bug you know. :) thanks for the time:mug:

If it was me and I wanted to culture this yeast I would get another bottle of the beer in question and some DME and make a proper starter with that to the prescribe SG of 1.040. Not sure of bottle sizes there but I use 200ml initial starter for a 375ml bottle of beer then step up. Table sugar is not recommended for starters.

alright thanks for the advice. i think ill do the best i can to keep this one alive and experiment with it and also make another starter the same way with some wheat DME or LME, as well as a sperate starter with a sample from the kellerwiess and see what happens! just wanted to make sure i had the proper procedures down. Thanks Again!

Yep, get some DME in there as soon as you can. If the yeast are in an environment where they don't have to utilize maltose for food, like the one you provided, they will lose the enzyme that allows them to utilize maltose and be no good in your wort.

so i never ended up using my DME because it had NO moisture content and i didnt trust it. i just let the yeast and all sit in the flask at room temp and all of a sudden today it has a nice krausen. strange?

Latest posts

Back