Qucik, dumb question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradigm

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How do you all sanitize the top of your fermentation bucket (I use food-grade plastic as a primary and a glass carboy as a secondary)? By top I mean the upper couple inches and the lid. Do you fill it completely full and put the lid on?

I normally fill it about half way full and slosh it around the top for a few minutes. Once I'm done that I put the lid on and dump it all out through the bung hole. Never had an issue.

Absolutely! Everything that's touching or within beer's reach needs to be sanitized.

Using Starsan?
You don't even need to fill it up half way, a gallon or less would do fine, just slosh it around or shake it making sure all surfaces stay wet for a minute or so. The inner rim of the lid and the top rim of the bucket need to be sanitized separately, because when you close the bucket with the lid, sanitizer may not get up in that seal area very well.

That grommet and the lid area underneath it, need to be sanitized too.

Save the Starsan, it will last a long time as long as it is kept clean.

Absolutely! Everything that's touching or within beer's reach needs to be sanitized.

Using Starsan?
You don't even need to fill it up half way, a gallon or less would do fine, just slosh it around or shake it making sure all surfaces stay wet for a minute or so. The inner rim of the lid and the top rim of the bucket need to be sanitized separately, because when you close the bucket with the lid, sanitizer may not get up in that seal area very well.

I use this procedure as well... works fine. When I'm pouring the sanitizer out, I rotate the bucket slowly to make sure all areas have been touched.

Using Starsan?

+1 to this.

Back