Quality Hydrometer Replacement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanoj

Reaction score
My son was assisting on my last brew day and broke my brother in law's hydrometer. It was the one he began brewing with 20 years ago and he is a bit upset about it. He bought it at San Diego Homebrew Mart before Ballast Point Brewery.

I would like to replace it with a super high quality one. Does anyone have a suggestion?

I want one with a thermometer and adjustment scale. We have broken thermometers before (those little lead pellets are a pain) so I am thinking that one with those melted in the bottom would be a good idea.

Any specific suppliers or brands you can suggest?

We have a refractometer (actually two) but the readings on finished beer have always seemed way off. Hydrometers have never let me down...

Thanks in advance

I believe Freas Glassworks would be considered quality. They make hydrometers for beer/wine making with built-in thermometers. Also, I'm unable to determine, but it looks like the bottom weight might be a solid piece instead of lead pellets. You'd want to call them first, of course.

Back