Quality Brew Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redwings522

Reaction score
Best Brew Kettle(15 gal) for your buck ? Basically I don’t need a top of line one but want something that’s gonna last me a long time.

My opinion, best bang for buck is the Concord 60 qt heavy stainless kettle w lid for $89 shipped.

Or perhaps this Brewers Best 16 gal kettle on amazon for $86 w two drilled ports
https://www.amazon.com/Brewers-Best...+best+kettle&qid=1557804140&s=gateway&sr=8-15

Edit
Better yet $80 at Beverage Factory...not sure about shipping but sometimes BF offers other discount coupons ime.

https://www.beveragefactory.com/hom...-best-16-gallon-stainless-steel-brew-pot.html

electric? propane? stovetop? it really does make a difference. if its electric any stainless kettle will work well, taller the better. ports are a plus.
If its propane you really want a tri clad bottom and something that can handle more abuse.

I've had a 20 gallon Concord for around 6 years. Looks like new. Great heavy pot will last forever. The best bang for your buck.

They sell at a few places but I think Ebay has the best prices. I saw they sell a Tri clad if thats what you want

I've been pleased with my concord on propane. No scorching but I do get a bit of off-white beer stone in the pattern of my burner. I dropped another $40 for bulkhead and valve. I hadn't found the Brewer's best kettle. I'd go with something like that.

I'm really enjoying my SS Brewtech kettles so far. I like that it has a built in recirculation port which has made installation of SpinCycle Weldless Whirlpool return for boil kettle and Blichmann Autosparge for mash tun really easy. Gives you options should you want to tinker with accessories in the future. I'm not crazy about the Weldless bulkheads but all the Weldless bulkheads I've dealt with so far require some tweaking. Overall construction seems thick and quality but I cannot yet speak to how long they last, with proper care, should be quite awhile.

Buy an old keg off craigslist. I've been using mine for like 5 years and it's great. I think they look cooler than a fancy pot anyway.

Best bang for you buck for a cheap one? Best bang for your buck but higher quality?

I hate weldless ports, so I bought a BrewBuilt. It was the best combination of quality, features and price when I bought it.

I've had a 20 gallon Concord for around 6 years. Looks like new. Great heavy pot will last forever. The best bang for your buck.

They sell at a few places but I think Ebay has the best prices. I saw they sell a Tri clad if thats what you want

Does urs have the volume markings ?

Does urs have the volume markings ?
I'm pretty sure they dont.. They are just a standard kettle They used to be advertised as made of 301 jindal indian steel which works greatbut ive read is more prone to cracking when drilled however I had no issues. Thats the same type of stainless steel many kitchen ware is made of. the ebay ad says its made of 304 but I highly doubt it... my bayou classic kettles said the same thing buy they are magnetic and a visibly different color than other 304 stuff I have which is not as magnetic so I believe these sellers just say what we want to hear often.

Here pics and demensions https://www.ebay.com/itm/CONCORD-Ho...06f7:m:mSWj6lJbxCZ2I97AGo0bUhw&frcectupt=true
They are also often as wide as they are tall (in the case of the 15 gallon its wider than it is tall) which is ok for propane as long as you get one thats much larger than what your brewing. the reason is because there will be less headspace for foam when the boil is achieved and during hop additions. it also takes longer to reach a boil and more heat to keep it going since theres more surface area for the heat to escape. in short its less efficient than a taller kettles which has minor advantages again these are no big deal , but worth noting.

I have an old ballington in the attic (13 gallon I believe) which was made by the same factory as the concord branded ones. it was the same height as width which was not ideal for heating with electric or headspace for 10 gallons

if It were me Id go with the brewers best kettles in a heartbeat. they are 1mm thick... if you dont care about the triclad bottom they are you best bet here so far imo.

Back