Qualitative Differences - early and late harvest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveM

Reaction score
My Cascade keeps making cones - every couple of weeks, I am bringing in another quarter pound (dry weight) or so, and then the smaller cones left behind get bigger. I've brought in close to 1.5 pounds so far, and there is at least another quarter to half pound worth that is maturing.

So I am wondering if those that I harvested in August will have different qualities than those that I bring in in October. Anyone have experience with this? Even speculation or unfounded opinion is welcome, for that matter.

I am hoping the late crop is as good as good as during the prime season. My Cascade, Nugget and Magnum still have not stopped producing. I just pick them when they are ripe.

Well you asked for it so here is my suggestion with no background knowledge.

I would mix the whole years crop together to make a blend so that it would be even regardless.

I think the key is to only pick the ripe hops. Commercial growers take a sampling across the field and then harvest everything so the under ripe, ripe and over ripe are all blended together. When harvesting by hand you can selectivley pick only the ripe ones which I think/hope gives you more consistancy across the growing season. If you have a frost coming and run outside and pick everything then I think you risk grassiness from under ripe cones. In which case you blend them in with the ripe ones or toss the unripe.

Take an equal weight of different harvests (small amount) and make a hop tea with equal amount of water and brew time. Cool and taste - not super scientific but will give you an idea.

I picked all my Cascades way too early and next year I know when to grab em.

Back