Q on Yeast Wash...Malta Goya based starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undallas

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've cultured a good amount of pacman from Malta Goya starter.
I have boiled some water last night and let them cooled at room temp in mason jars.
I'm planning to wash the yeast before I pitch tonight. I guess I have several options to remove dark malta in the starter.

Do I just put the starter in the fridge and decant most of the liquid.. Fill up with some boiled/cooled water. Wait... decant... repeat the steps until I get good clarity?

After the wash, I would need to wait for the yeast to be at room temp before I add to wort in the primary to prevent thermal shock? that is, reduce the temp delta between wort and yeast slurry.
thanks,

Your process seems fine, but I would not bother to wash the yeast from a starter. When I make starters I usually just decant and leave enough beer to dump the slurry into the wort. When you wash yeast, you do end up losing a lot of actual yeast cells so you might want to "step" it up again...

Your process seems fine, but I would not bother to wash the yeast from a starter. When I make starters I usually just decant and leave enough beer to dump the slurry into the wort. When you wash yeast, you do end up losing a lot of actual yeast cells so you might want to "step" it up again...

Yeah, there's no need to wash the starter harvest....just store it and step it up when you are ready to use it.

That makes sense... Since there are no trubs and other unwanted stuff, it is not necessary to wash.

i stepped up from 2 cups to 4 cups two days ago..
When i was in 2 cups mode, I didn't get much krausen after I shake it up.
But in 4 cups mode, the krausen really forms in last 24 hours.
I think the yeast is more active now....
I guess I'll let it settles and pour some malta goya out before I pitch the whole thing tonight...

I smelled just now. It actually smells like a good stout... I started the culture from Shakespeare Stout...

So happy that it works out....:fro:

Back