Pyramid Outburst IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gropo

Reaction score
I'm just enjoying my first glass of Pyramid's "Outburst Imperial IPA". I've gotta say, it's pretty damn good, and totally different than SN's "Torpedo IIPA". I'm guessing that this Outburst is heavy on Chinook and Simcoe hops....it's got lovely pine/spruce notes. Anyone know the details of this brew? I'd be keen to try a clone.

Mongrel...I'm with you. Generally I don't like Pyramid's beers, but it's hard for me to pass up a new IIPA when I'm grocery shopping. I'm a sucker for PNW style IPA's though, and this seems to deliver.

I live quite near Pyramid but seldom go there. There beers don't really have technical flaws or anything, they just seem sort of bland/lifeless. Maybe I'll stop in later and try a pint.

I live quite near Pyramid but seldom go there. There beers don't really have technical flaws or anything, they just seem sort of bland/lifeless. Maybe I'll stop in later and try a pint.

I agree with you but you'll have to give this one a shot. I just wish they sold it in 12 packs here. pyramid was on sale for 9.99/12 pack a while ago and that would have been a steal for this stuff.

Here's what their website says...

Alcohol by Volume: 8.5%
IBU: 80
Malts: 2-Row, Munich, Caramel, Carared
Hops: Nugget, Chinook, Centennial, and Simcoe

Here's what their website says...

Alcohol by Volume: 8.5%
IBU: 80
Malts: 2-Row, Munich, Caramel, Carared
Hops: Nugget, Chinook, Centennial, and Simcoe

I thought I recognized Chinook and Simcoe flavors. Just my opinion, but it's their best beer yet.

It's pretty good. VERY smooth and drinkable at 8.5%. Plenty of hop nose and taste, but what I really liked is that it was BITTER! The hop taste/nose is 'complex' but you have to dig for it. Malt backbone was enough to hold up to the bitterness, but was not sweet or heavy. Just a tiny bit of complexity from the malt, which I would guess is the munich, but again you have to dig for it. Very nice representation of the style.

Food there sucks, but I was ready for that. Some drunk biker looking guy next to me broke a glass while I was at the bar. Guess that added some excitement. Hope that wasn't anyone on the forum, but I very much doubt it as they weren't talking about beer.

I like this beer a lot. It totally redeemed Pyramid being bought out imo... I had my doubts. With the sheer bang for the buck, this has been my personal favorite steal of a deal!!! 12.99 for 12, AND 8.5% abv, AND super smooth deliciousness how can you go wrong???

I bought this a couple of weeks ago and then had the buyers remorse, I've never really thought Pyramid made anything super special, they're a good party beer, but not something I want when I'm feeling snobby (It happens more than I'd like to admit) then I drank it and was impressed, flavorful and extremely drinkable I have to give kudos to Pyramid for this one!

This is one of my favorite budget brews. I agree it would be good staple to clone. I noted on the pyramid web site that it is dry hopped with Hops labeled as: Falconer’s Flight, Zythos ,along with the already mentioned hops.

Back