PVP good substitute for PVPP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beervoid

Hophead & Pellet Rubber
Reaction score
Hello I was looking into finding some PVPP for use as a clearing agent but I can only find PVP in my country. Can they be substituted for each other?

Thank you

The differences and different uses are explained here: https://www.researchgate.net/post/W...pyrrolidone_PVPP_and_polyvinylpyrrolidone_PVP

It says PVP is used as a fining agent, but it sounds nowhere near as effective as PVPP. It is also water soluble, so I think there's a fair chance you won't ever get it out of the wort, in addition to the fact that it won't help much.

Can you use another clearing agent instead?

I don't think pvp is a good idea, because it is smaller and water soluble and thus difficult to remove from the beer (and we do not want to drink microplastics in our beer). It also lacks some of the binding properties of pvpp. PVPP is much larger and highly crosslinked modification that is insoluble and can be removed easily if the beer is filtered using proper equipment.

Last edited:
Back