Putting together Picobrew IPA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Already bought my ingredients, just need to build the specifics. I'm looking for a tropical/citrus aroma, with a mild bitterness. I'm thinking something like a SN Tropical Torpedo.

Grain - 7 lbs rahr 2 row
0.5 Crystal 10-15
1.5 marris otter
A little acid malt

Water - RO+gypsum and calcium (I think)

Available hops
2 oz Amarillo
1 oz El Dorado
1 lb citra

I also have hallertau, goldings and sazz in hand, but those are not really what I'm going for.

Yeast will either be wlp001 or a starter of wlp0?? (German ale) from a batch I'm moving to carbonation today.

This will be a 2.5-3 gallon batch in a Zymatic. I will be planning on a large whirlpool additional during cooling.

The main area I'm looking at is which hops should be used in a 60 addition, which in late additions, which whirpool and which for dry hopping. Obviously this will be leaning towards the citra character due to volume.

you could use some of your hallertau/goldings/saaz for your bittering as it wont impart much flavour/aroma anyways, then save your tropical/citrus for your late/flameout/whirlpool/dryhop additions.

With that much citra (which is pretty over powering) i dont think the smaller hits of amarillo/el dorado will do much - maybe add them mid-late boil for a bit of flavouring, then save citra for whirlpool/dryhop for it's big aroma?

I am not planning to use the whole pound of citra in the beer. :)

Right now I'm looking at

0.5 oz Citra - 15 minutes
1 oz Citra - 10 minutes
2 oz Amarillo - Whirlpool
1 oz El Dorado - Whirlpool
1 oz Citra - Whirlpool

Last edited:
That went poorly.

The pico wasn't pumping enough water into the mash (probably my fault somehow) and the wort was only at 1.040. added some dme to bring it up to 1.065. There were crazy long protein strands from the only partially mashed malt that I cannot imagine this will be clear at all.

The wort smelled fantastic the next morning after cooling though.

well that's too bad! was this first time using picobrew? or just a one off incident (i personally have no experience)

Back