Putting together 3 recipes, need help on third...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janzik

Reaction score
We're almost all set to do our first AG batch by ourselves and I was about to order some ingredients from our LHBS to get us started. Since the LHBS gets ~50lb bags of American 2 Row, I wanted to put together 3 batches so I could order everything at once.

Between the recipe resources I've found, I've picked the following 2 recipes

Centennial Golden Ale (Blonde Ale) from BeerTools website
11 gal batch
16lb American 2 row
2lb American Vienna
1lb Rye
2oz Centennial 8.8% at 60 min
2oz Centennial 8.8% at 15 min
2oz Centennial 8.8% at 0 min (the recipe says at .25 min?)
WYeast 1056 American Ale
1.050 OG
1.011 FG
3.60 SRM
46 IBUs
5.1% ABV
----
SMPA (APA) from a BeerSmith recipe
11 gal batch
18lb American 2 Row
1lb CaraPils
1lb 60L
1.4oz Columbus Tomahawk 14% at 60 min
1.5oz Cascade at 15 min
3.0oz Cascase at 0 min
California Ale (#WLP001)
5.63ABV
37.5 IBU
6.7 SRM
---

So, after that I'll have ~16lbs of 2 Row left. Making an attempt to put an amber/red together in BTP, I started the following... (Remember, I have no idea of what I'm doing).

15.5 or 16lbs of American 2 Row
2lbs of 120L
3lb of Cara-Pils (Seems like a lot, but I was playing with the sliders)

I didn't pick any hops or yeast yet, suggestions would be appreciated.
16.1 SRM
5.07% ABV

---
Any thoughts on the other 2 recipes? I may modify down to 10gal if I don't wind up with enough usable left overs after each batch, of course. Any help would be appreciated.

American or Irish red?

I am thinking American. That is a lot of 120l crystal. I would go with about 12-16oz of a lower crystal like 40l and then about 8oz of the 120l. Also, a roasted grain like chocolate is going to help the color, maybe 2oz. Some other specialty grains might be good depending on the flavor you want (biscuit, victory, etc.). 8oz of carapils is plenty if you are just looking to aid head formation/retention.

Hops: anything American, solid in the late additions
Yeast: WLP001, Wyeast 1056, or US-05 dry

(ok, sorry all those measurements were for 5-6 gallon batch, double for the 11 gallons)

Do I keep all that CaraPils in there? I was only adding it in BTP because one of my other recipes had it in there..

10 gallon batch now
15.5 - 16lbs of 2 Row
8oz of 120L
1lb of 40L
2oz of Chocolate
3lb of Cara-Pils(?) (using it to keep in range, not sure if I'm using it right)

janzik said:
Do I keep all that CaraPils in there? I was only adding it in BTP because one of my other recipes had it in there..

10 gallon batch now
15.5 - 16lbs of 2 Row
8oz of 120L
1lb of 40L
2oz of Chocolate
3lb of Cara-Pils(?) (using it to keep in range, not sure if I'm using it right)

I would double the 120, 40L , and chocolate additions for the 10gallon batch. I think 3lbs of carapils would be overkill. I am not sure if it would change much but about 5% should be fine.

Beerrific said:
I would double the 120, 40L , and chocolate additions for the 10gallon batch. I think 3lbs of carapils would be overkill. I am not sure if it would change much but about 5% should be fine.

Ok, as of right now...
16lbs 2 Row
1lb 120L
12oz of CaraPils
2lbs 40L
2oz of Chocolate (anything more was putting it out of range)

Now I need to pick out a hop schedule. I know you said anything American, but is there anything more suited for an American Red? Or is it just open season as long as the IBUs are in range. BTP says 25 to 40.

janzik said:
Ok, as of right now...
16lbs 2 Row
1lb 120L
12oz of CaraPils
2lbs 40L
2oz of Chocolate (anything more was putting it out of range)

Now I need to pick out a hop schedule. I know you said anything American, but is there anything more suited for an American Red? Or is it just open season as long as the IBUs are in range. BTP says 25 to 40.

I would go with the citrusy hops (centennial, cascade, amarillo, etc.). Kind of depends on what you can get your hands on. Oh, and maybe add some munich or victory/biscuit malt to enhance the malt profile.

Here is the recipe I used.

Back