Putting the red into an amber ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How does DRC compare with special B?
It’s got some of the same plum/raisin notes. It is roasted, so you get some burnt sugar goodness, but it’s not roasted enough to go bitter or astringent the way black barleys can be. I personally find Special B a little overpowering, and think that DRC shows more restraint. But that’s me.

I just made an Irish red that I colored with chocolate rye and Simpsons DRC. (I♥DRC.) No roast astringency, very nice taste, 5 stars, would brew again.
I've got 7~8 lbs Red-X laying around in the leftovers bin, as well as some Fuggles and EKG with a year or two in the freezer, unopened. Thinking I'll do a ragout adjusting gravity with M.O. or Golden Promise. I can't remember how much diastatic power Red-X has, if it will self-convert itself and a little carared (also a bit past it's due date). At least the color should be pretty. Anybody got some good suggestions?

I've got 7~8 lbs Red-X laying around in the leftovers bin, as well as some Fuggles and EKG with a year or two in the freezer, unopened. Thinking I'll do a ragout adjusting gravity with M.O. or Golden Promise. I can't remember how much diastatic power Red-X has, if it will self-convert itself and a little carared (also a bit past it's due date). At least the color should be pretty. Anybody got some good suggestions?
Yes, it will convert, probably also some adjuncts or crystal as well.

I wouldn't add crystal though, as red X is quite rich, sweet on it's own already. If anything, I would add pale malt if I would want to upp the gravity above 1.05 because above that, the colour tends to shift into a brown when using red X only.

Yes, it will convert, probably also some adjuncts or crystal as well.

I wouldn't add crystal though, as red X is quite rich, sweet on it's own already. If anything, I would add pale malt if I would want to upp the gravity above 1.05 because above that, the colour tends to shift into a brown when using red X only.
White wheat is good for this too.

Here’s 92% English pale, and 4% each chocolate rye and DRC. K97 yeast. Very happy with how it turned out (though maybe a little dark on color.)
62E72832-D831-4F77-A942-62CA8267E956.jpeg

Back