Putting in cold ale yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asterix404

Reaction score
So I was stupid, I have been brewing for a while now and was very happy with using dry yeast and then went to white labs liquid yeast, and it's been about 24h now since I did a wonderful triple and then brought the yeast out of the fridge and poured it in and only after realized I forgot to RTFM, or rather read how to use it. It was about 40deg or so in my fridge and now I don't see any bubbles at all, like none. I am not so worried about bacterial growth as it's been in an air tight container for the whole time but I am still rather worried. I realized that I also should have made a starter (next time) and would like to know if I just wasted like, 70$ in ingredients or if it's actually going to be okay and I should just wait. The initial SG was about 1.09. No bubbling in such a heavy env is what has me concerned.

that's a pretty big beer for not having a starter - in my experience pitching cold yeast isn't a problem (I generally let my starters ferment to completion, then chill and decant the spent starter wort and just pitch the yeast slurry from the starter, and haven't noticed any difference between letting it warm up or pitching it at fridge temp)

You didn't waste $70 worth of ingredients. The worst thing you've done is waste the cost of the yeast, but that might not even be true. Most likely it'll just be a very slow starter because of your high OG, low yeast count and shocking them like that.

If you can swing by your LHBS, it might not be a bad idea to get another pack of yeast in case you need to repitch.

Folks with more exprience than me with big beers and starters can chime in more. Mainly I wanted to calm your fears that the batch is bad.

Yeast are an incredible little organisms. They live with or without oxygen, go dormant for long periods of time, can be dried out only to be woken up again and live in toxic environments only to die a drunken death. Remember yeast have been on Earth for many millions years. I am sure your yeasties will get the party going soon. I have dropped yeast in cold wine must without a starter. I have dropped in wort without a starter, alcohol is still there.

Enjoy!:mug:

Give it time. It might just take a while on a big beer. Worst case you go get more yeast and build a starter and pitch again. Just make sure your wort is sanitary until then.

Back