putting ice in wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ernie00

Reaction score
I have been brewing a few batches and always used ice to cool down my wort since I don't have a chiller. I buy 1 gallon water, freeze it, cut the bottle open and put it on the bucket.

Is this ok or it can cause problems?

thanks

I wouldn't do that. You don't know what kind of bacteria might be on the bottle. Once the wort starts to cool it could get infected.

I used to use commercial ice with good results, then I started reading (and worrying) about contamination. Ugh...

So, then I started making my own ice blocks. I took 1/2 gal milk jugs, rinsed, sanitized and poured boiled (and chilled) water into them (up to just before the handle). I'd freeze them until brew day, then pull them out as I started my boil. They'd melt just enough to facilitate the ice popping right out once I cut the top off.

Next I went to using plastic containers with a lid... much easier than cutting.

Finally, I've gone to an immersion chiller that I pump ice water through.

ok... for one i would NEVER EVER use commercial ice. you have no idea when the last time those machines that made the ice were cleaned or if the bag was opened or who's nasty grimey hands were on the ice.

as for water in an unopened gallon jug, doing it your way i would sanitize the outside of the jug as well as the scissors that you are using and then go crazy.

what i personally do is i put a couple gallons in the freezer but i do not let them fully freeze, instead i get them to the point where they are getting all ice crystally and mushy then sanitize the top, open it, and pour it in. its still freakin cold and reduces the temp very quickly without having an ice chunk in it.

i have an immersion chiller but it has been leaking lately so mush water is not my way of chilling plus putting it in an icebath.

My brother in law - a pharmacist and chemical engineering geek who has hung out while I have brewed, wonders why I don't use a block of dry ice. He insists that it would be very effective at cooling wort down and that it would look super cool!

I buy a lot of ice for my vintage base ball team in the summer and I would never dump the store bought ice from one of those garage or grocery store coolers into my beer. I've emptied a couple of them down to the bottom, and you wouldn't believe the garbage I've seen down there, food wrappers, cigarette butts and god know what else. Plus who know where folks grubby little hands have been before the stuck their hands in there.

And most of the bags I've bought aren't completely sealed anyway, there's either a big gap at the top where the sting tie is, or there's drain holes in the bags, or they're just plain ripped,

Store bought ice is fine for cooling your beer if the ice is in an icebath on the OUTSIDE of your kettle, but unless you've made your own ice in a sanitized, sealed container, with preferably boiled water, then I wouldn't contemplate sticking it in my wort.

Just because somone's done it and hasn't had any issues SO FAR, doesn't mean they're not playing russian roulette with your beer. The one way to gaurentee there will be no problem, will be not to risk it.

for the record, I am not using commercial ice.

I buy bottled water and freeze it.

Then I sanitized the outside of the bottle and cut the plastic so I can take the big 1 gallon ice cube and put it in the wort.

There was a middle school student here in the Tampa Bay area who made national news about 2 years ago when she did a science project that proved that there is more bacteria in most commerical ice and vending ice than there is on a toilet seat from a fast-food restaurant.

So I'd say unless you would put a toilet seat in your beer, you shouldn't put commercial ice or vending ice.

What's so hard about an ice bath? I can cool 5 gallons from 220 F to 80 F in about 20 minutes with the ice from my freezer and one additional bag from 7-11 in an ice bath in my kitchen sink! :fro:

Not to undermine how much bacteria there is in commerical ice and vending machine ice, but I am really sick of the "toilet seat" comparison. Turns out the toilet seat is about the cleanest surface in a public bathroom most of the time -- it gets bleached all the freakin' time.

Now what I would compare it to would be the inside doorknob on the men's room in a strip club....

OP - maybe you could buy the bottles empty and then sanitize and fill them with your own water. that would be a really good way to do it. unless you know for sure they have sanitized the water and bottle, i would do my own. it is a good technique and i have done it myself with tupperware ice blocks. but i have found better results with an icebath in the kitchen sink. YMMV

Not to undermine how much bacteria there is in commerical ice and vending machine ice, but I am really sick of the "toilet seat" comparison. Turns out the toilet seat is about the cleanest surface in a public bathroom most of the time -- it gets bleached all the freakin' time.

Now what I would compare it to would be the inside doorknob on the men's room in a strip club....

LOL...it is a bit of a bait and switch/shock factor study. Toilet seats are made of a type of plastic that is designed not to harbor bacteria. Kinda like a food-grade bucket. So you're right, the $1.00 bill in my wallet probaly has 200X more bacteria than the toilet seat I just used!

My GF gives me grief ALL the time for washing my brew bucket in the sink, saying that I am ruining her dish brush. I try SOOOOO hard to reason with her and tell her that hops and trub is no different than leftover lasagna on a plate, but she just won't listen. Come winter, I'll be freezing my buns off cleaning my primary with the garden hose and an old rag.

Wow... your strip club has a door on the men's room? you go to a high-class joint! :rockin:

Didn't the mythbusters prove that it wasn't the toilet seat that was the worst in the bathroom, but the floor around the toilet as wall as the faucet handles that were worst?

But seriously, if you don't have a wort chiller, and aren't doing full volume boils, then an ice bath works really well.

Didn't the mythbusters prove that it wasn't the toilet seat that was the worst in the bathroom, but the floor around the toilet as wall as the faucet handles that were worst?

Yep. Toilet seat was the cleanest part.

I don't see any problem with what the OP is doing. Freezing jugs of water and sanitizing them before he puts the ice into his brew.

Being in Florida I need to assist my chilling as much as possible. Until I get a pre-chiller set up, I'm forced to use other means to drop the temp down quickly. In addition to my immersion chiller I use frozen 2 liter bottles of water in my wart to help cool it down faster. When it's time to chill, I simply take my frozen 2 liter ice bottles out of the freezer, drop them in my bucket of starsan for about a minute and then into my wort. I've had no issues with contamination this way.

I am on my fourth 5 gallon batch. I was going to buy a chiller but I really don't see the point. I just give the wort a cold water bath I don't even use ice just change out the water. It takes me about 15-20 minutes which is pretty good to me. Before I get beat up I will say I am only making five gallon batches

I am on my fourth 5 gallon batch. I was going to buy a chiller but I really don't see the point. I just give the wort a cold water bath I don't even use ice just change out the water. It takes me about 15-20 minutes which is pretty good to me. Before I get beat up I will say I am only making five gallon batches

What does "only" making 5 gallon batches have to do with buying or not buying an immersion chiller? MOST homebrewers only brew 5 gallon batches.

But I use my chiller even for making 2.5 gallon test batches on the stove top.

It's about getting the wort chilled as fast as possible, and more importantly getting a good cold break.

i wouldn't.

but thats how jim koch chilled his beer in 1984. these days that beer is called sam adams boston lager. the boston beer company doesnt chill it that way anymore but im just saying we all have the sam adams dream. dont we?? it worked for jim when he was brewing in his kitchen.
go to the sam adams site and watch his videos.

I just did this on my last brew. I boil 3L of water and put it in sterilized tupperware containers. It worked great and im going to be doing everytime now. As long as everything you use is sterilized then you wont have a problem.

When using store bought ice, I would definitely sterilize it. Dump it in a pot, boil it, then refreeze it. There, its sterilized.

Damn, I just finished my first brew and used a bag of commercial ice to cool down my wort. It's been in the primary for 6 days now. Thanks to all of the great information on this website, I'll probably leave it there for a couple more weeks.

I really hope I didn't contaminate my wort, but how will I know if it's indeed "infected"?

I wouldn't worry about it, I have done 30 odd batches and use the bag of commercial ice every time and never a problem.
I think a lot of people get way to wrapped around the axle worrying about infections. A reasonable amount of care sanitising your gear and you will be fine.

I have now done 14 partial boil batches by adding about 1 1/2 gallons of ice and have not experienced any problems. The containers I use are clean when I fill them with water and I filter the water before filling the containers. I place them in a freezer with a lid on top of them and NEVER have any problems doing it this way.

So tonight instead of using bottled water iced in the wort I used for the first time an ice bath to chill the 3 gallons of wort. Didn't expect it to be so efficient in less than 20 minutes it was at 85F. Really happy about it.

I wouldn't worry about it, I have done 30 odd batches and use the bag of commercial ice every time and never a problem.
I think a lot of people get way to wrapped around the axle worrying about infections.

I've done the same without consequence. So, your ice company and mine must have decent sanitation practices. However, this forum reaches pretty far, and there are people listening here who don't share our good luck.

At the very least, it's probably fair to say that commercial ice is a crap shoot.

I did this all the time when doing extract, never had a problem, and it seems like the OP has been successful with it as well.

I used to freeze two gallons, and I'd have to wait for the temps to rise enough to melt the remaining ice before pitching.

Back