Putting a thermometer in a boil kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianw58

Reaction score
Ok, I bought a replacement thermometer from Williams Brewing on one of their promotions.

I didn't read the description properly. The thread was too small for my 1/2" NPT fitting on my Cool Mash Tun.

So, I bought the correct sized one and no problems.

I have never had a thermometer in my BK.

Are there any advantages to having one in the BK?

It's not a big deal to return it, with Williams Brewing's return policy. But, it would be very easy to drill another hole in the BK and add the thermometer. I need to add another hole to install a whirlpool fitting anyway.

Thought?

Guess it depends on the rest of your system. Do you use that kettle to heat sparge or mash water too? Do you use an immersion chiller to cool?

If it's boiling and you've removed the grains and whatnot, I never feel the need to know the temperature. If you've the kind that wants to know every little thing about every step along the way, then there's no reason not to take the temp. You certainly wont have to worry about contamination, and as long as you clean and sterilize it before taking your wort temp., no harm or foul will be made.

Happy Brewing!

I've never not had one in my boil kettle; it is of little use during the boil itself, but it's nice to know when you're approaching boil (I leave the lid on until I get to about 200F), and then since I use an immersion chiller it's the easiest way to tell when you've gotten the wort as low as it's going to go prior to transferring to your fermentation vessel. You can also use it to monitor kettle temp if you decide to do a post-boil hop stand.

I have one installed in my boil keggle. I use an immersion chiller, so it's great to know when I'm at runoff/pitch temp.

I'd also +1 for the use of hop stands and knowing when you are approaching boil.

Nice to be able to do other things besides stare at the brew kettle before it reaches a boil. At 180 degrees, I'm cleaning... prep'ing... etc... at 205, I'm watching the brew kettle.

Thanks for all the responses!

This is my brew rig...

I might just keep the thermometer and install it to keep track of the pre-boil run up.

image.jpg

Back