putting a sight tube on my MLT. This ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightbiker

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm planning on putting a sight tube on my mash/lauter tun, the opening being under the level of the false bottom. My idea is that I'll put a piece of tape at the level of the top of the grain-bed (after dough-in, once the bed settles while the water is recirculating) and I'll have an easier time of making sure my water level is above the grainbed during sparging. Anything I should be concerned about? Or am I on the right track and this is as good an idea as I expect it is?

Sure, you can do that. Personally, I use mine to measure my strike water. I have a sanke MLT, and I heat the strike water in it before I dough in.

Thought about one on the MLT -and will probably put one on there eventually. But I do plan on heating the strikewater first, but plan on having more water than I need for the full process, so that after the wort is chilled and put in a fermenter, I'll use the remaining hot water to purge all of the lines in the system.

Back