put yeast in cold.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tspills

Reaction score
I took the wet yeast out of the refrigerator (california ale) put it directly into the wort at 85 degrees should the yeast have been brought up in temperature and to what for how long? I know the wort was too hot but how bad is that also? Thanks
Tom

You really should have made a starter with liquid yeast first, unless it was a low gravity beer. And without a starter, yes you should have taken it out for a couple hours, and waited to get to around 70 to pitch. You may get some fruity esters from stressing the yeast, but let it ferment out and set on the yeast for a while and it may clean up pretty well.

Agreed, listen to the analrapist. It will probably be fine, but I would make a starter next time.

I couldn't help it, I just watched 3 straight episodes of Arrested Development.

You'll be fine. But yes, a starter is recommended and yeast as close to ferementing temp is best. When you get to lagers...thats a different discussion. Differing schools of thought on pitching temp. But I'm going out on a limb and guessing this is one of your first brews, i.e. ale.

Latest posts

Back