Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that's weird that your pipe blistered, pipes should only be finished with dye and white diamond compound, brown tripoli compound with a final coating of carnauba wax, and i've never heard of those flaking before. if you want to refinish it, i'd recommend starting with a relatively high grit sandpaper (like 600 or something) and see what that does to whatever they finished your pipe with. if need be, step it down to get that finish off, possibly re-dye it if you want, or just sand it really smooth and put some wax on it. i THINK you can use leather dye (i think they call them aniline dyes) instead of buying specialty alcohol dye from a pipe supply place...

Yeah. Three pimple sized spots. It's a basket pipe so, I figured it may be on spots that rendered it flawed. Don't know enough about that tho'.

I am actually considering sanding it down to a naked state and then waxing it. The finish appears to be more film like than a actual stain.

i guess if it was a basket pipe, they probably didn't take the time to finish it properly. i bet they put some shellac or something on it, which might be contributing to it getting so hot. i think the briar is supposed to be allowed to 'breathe' so to speak and the shellac or whatever they put on it has totally sealed it... post a pic or two if you decide to refinish that sucker. i've refinished a few old ones i got with decent success, the dyes are touchy to work with unless you have experience.

Somehow, I have graduated from "before bed pipe and a drink" to a through the day smoker. Wandered myself through tobaccoreviews.com and picked up some drug-store pouches for giggles. Of course, today at lunch while picking up a pouch and a second tamper, now I have found a tobacconist with a wide selection of tins and bulk for a decent price. Bulk prices are actually equal to or less than the DS pouches.

Got a pouch of Captain Black white Label, Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, and Prince Albert. the PA is pretty frigging good!

that was quick! good to hear it, i think pipe smoking is a blast... i don't really do it very often in the winter, i just hate cold/pipe smoking in tandem. i'm looking forward to getting back into it this spring. i would also say trust your nose; if you like the way it smells, you'll probably like how it smokes. some hardcores hate the cavendish/aromatic blends and will only smoke burley, virginia, latika, etc... but i really enjoy a good aromatic smoke... kinda reverberates what i grew up thinking what pipe tobacco smelled like and loving it.

Smoking a pipe without inhaling is as much fun as eating without swallowing.........:(

Science has proven that there are no tastebuds in your lungs and unlike your stomach, lungs don't need to be filled with anything but air.

I only light a few pipes a year and my pipes are cheap and simple and in all honesty, I like a Corn Cob.

My favorite off the shelf bag is "Troost Special Cavendish".

I have a big tub of my own mix which is Shag tobacco, Burley Mixture (Non-Aromatic), and a bit of Black Cavendish. The tub is probably 5 years old now, still smells and smokes great!

Of all the pipes, I have yet to see anyone carrying a corn cob pipe. I did find a couple Dr Grabow's at $15 each. With those two I now have a full 5 day rotation of pipes and have spent less I would have on a single decent Estate pipe elsewhere.

And they all smoke great now that I have figured out how not to cook the pipe or my tounge.

the dreaded tounge bite... glad to hear you found a few grabows, those pipes are just fine... and glad to hear you're puffin along! i've got like 8 pipes, most old ebay finds that i refurbished, but there are a few i always go back to... never could follow the rotation very well.

The Grabows smoke as good if not better than the basket pipes. A pair of Grand Dukes. One is small and smooth finished. The other is larger and rusticated. Not a nice looking pipe at all but, then again they are service pipes not heirloom Savinelli's, Brebbia's, or dunhills.

I am really liking the smaller one. Makes for a nice portion to smoke on for an hour or so.

The ONLY problem I have with pipe is that, I don't get a feeling of nicotine satisfaction. Love the flavor and aroma of all the tobaccos I have tried but am left wanting.

The ONLY problem I have with pipe is that, I don't get a feeling of nicotine satisfaction. Love the flavor and aroma of all the tobaccos I have tried but am left wanting.

I know what you mean. There are some strong (nicotine-wise) pipe tobaccos out there (e.g., Dunhill Nightcap), but pipe smoking in general is very slow on the nicotine delivery. Pipe and cigar smoking are very different than cigarette smoking in that respect... I don't know any pipe or cigar smokers that are "jonesing" for a smoke. It's more of a hobby than an addiction.

Have you tried cigars? As much as I want to like smoking a pipe, I always end up back with cigars. There are some good strong cigars out there that are much more "satisfying" than any pipe tobacco I've tried. The cigar hobby can get expensive though.;)

Yeah. Not too fond of cigars. Have tried several in my years and never got a taste for them. I'll stick to Snus for the Nic. I was just surprised givenm that the pipe tobacco seems less processed than most other forms and yet is so devoid of the nicotine.

Yes, I also realize that cigs are fortified with Nicotine.

So it's nicotine you want, eh? Buy yourself a pouch of Half and Half pipe tobacco, fill up the pipe, and inhale some of that!

All the nicotine you could ever desire.........plus a fabulous tasting smoke.

So it's nicotine you want, eh? Buy yourself a pouch of Half and Half pipe tobacco, fill up the pipe, and inhale some of that!

All the nicotine you could ever desire.........plus a fabulous tasting smoke.

Have seen the half and half but only in the large 14 Oz tins. What makes the half and half more Niced up? Isn't it just a Burley and Virginia blend?

Have seen the half and half but only in the large 14 Oz tins. What makes the half and half more Niced up? Isn't it just a Burley and Virginia blend?

It's the Burley. I don't recall ever smoking Half and Half, but I hear it's not bad for a drug store brand. I knew an avid and knowledgeable pipe smoker who smoked this frequently.

It's the Burley. I don't recall ever smoking Half and Half, but I hear it's not bad for a drug store brand. I knew an avid and knowledgeable pipe smoker who smoked this frequently.

Okay. But, I have a tin of MacBaren Air cured Burley and I get no nicotine satisfaction from the smoke. It's a wonderful blend mind you.

Okay. But, I have a tin of MacBaren Air cured Burley and I get no nicotine satisfaction from the smoke. It's a wonderful blend mind you.

I believe it depends on where it's grown and what fertilizers are used. Higher nitrogen soil yields a higher alkaloid content. However, for whatever reason, MacBaren is notoriously a mild pipe tobacco.

Blue Note and McClelland Oriental No.1 are BY FAR the best smokes I have had yet.

Nothing else even comes close. The Blue Note aroma is off the charts with the toasted coconut and vanilla notes. Taste is sweet but not cloying. The Oriental No 1 has a nice woody vanilla/cherry room note and a ever so slight hint of pepper behind a extremely mellow vanilla sweetness.

Both smoke slow and burn complete.

I had a girl in my high school class who had a dad that grew his own tabaccy. Haven't looked into how hard it is but check it out.

Yeah. There is a thread here about that too.

The growing is easy enough it appears. The drying, curing, casing, and cutting is the most involved. I have read it said that a single plant yields about 3 Ounces of dried, cured, smokable tobacco per annum.

Some of the guys on teh other thread spoke of a seed gifting when the time comes. If I get some seed, I'll plant them and go from there. If not, I'll leave it to the commercial joints to prepare it for me.

I am still not a heavy smoker and don't plant to be. Worst case I'll burn a bowl a nite with my before bed beer or nightcap.

Just thought I'd plug that blend cause it just floors me how good it is.

Pretty much all there is to it. Smell the blends and buy what you think would taste pleasant. Look up some youtube videos on how to pack, smoke, and clean properly. You will need a pipe tool. Also, Ebay is a good place to find good deals on pipes.

I am actually fond of the Dr Grabow briar pipes. compared to some of the more expensicve pipes I have collected thus far, they smoke just as well.

Yeah. I tried several of the drug store baccy and it's okay. I haven't done of the heavily cased flavored drug store stuff because it come in this huge 5 pound ziplock garbage bag. But the smaller branded pouches I have tried. Prince albert, Cap'n Black, Half and Half, Walter Raleigh, etc....

They all smoke okay but lack the real depth of flavor the tinned tobaccos seem to have.

For my next tin I am hoping to find a blend with some Parique or Latakia to get an idea of what THAT is about.

Dunhill Nightcap is one of my "go-to" pipe tobaccos... great smoke.

I called my local Tobaccanist to enquire about the Nightcap.

He advises me that they are no longer producing it. But also included "in tins" in there.

When I asked if they are still making it in some other packed form he didn't have an answer. He is also an Authorized Dunhill dealer. Not sure if that holds any weight on the tobacco or not.

Maybe it's just in the States.

They do have the frog Morton tho'. :D And I was gifted a couple ounce sample of Across the Pond so, looks like I got my wish before I knew I wished it.

I called my local Tobaccanist to enquire about the Nightcap.

He advises me that they are no longer producing it. But also included "in tins" in there.

When I asked if they are still making it in some other packed form he didn't have an answer. He is also an Authorized Dunhill dealer. Not sure if that holds any weight on the tobacco or not.

Maybe it's just in the States.

They do have the frog Morton tho'. :D And I was gifted a couple ounce sample of Across the Pond so, looks like I got my wish before I knew I wished it.

Good deal. It's been a year or two since I bought Nightcap and I heard something of the like... about it not being available anymore. I believe it's still produced by Orlik (Germany), but not exported to the US (yet). The tobacconist I used to work at had it in bulk.:)

Back