Put My Brew Buddy To Sleep

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday was a $hitty day. I had to put Buzz my pet lab and brew buddy to sleep.

Lymphoma completely ravaged his body in golf ball sized tumors as it withered his body to almost a point of atrophy. The final straw was seeing him blind and refusing to eat ground beef and hot dogs. Its seemed to come and go but watching him shake and shiver in the cold Chicago weather was heartbreaking. All he wanted was to be outside in the snow. He laid down in the middle of the yard. Whenever I brought him in the house he just stood in one place all catatonic like, staring off into space.

Anyway, I will deeply miss him after 11 good years.

Here is a tribute to him. He barked out loud at the utterance of the word beer!

Eds_Birthday_072.jpg

2006_Buzz_Sue_011.jpg

06_xmas_-_pops_birthday_010.jpg

Halloween_California_004.jpg

Oh, I'm so sorry! He looks like an awesome dog. My yellow lab is about three (he came from a shelter so I'm not sure exactly how old he is but I've had him over a year and a half, and he was at least a year or so when I got him) and he looks just like your dog!

I'll lift my glass tonight in a toast to Buzz.

I hate to here that bro. I too have a beer dog. I would ache to be without him. I too will lift a glass of some good brew in his honor tonight.
My prayers and condolences your way brother.

Sorry to hear the bad news. Sounds like he had a good life and gave good memories.

:mug: to Buzz! Every pet i've ever had was in many ways more family than my family. One cat I had, went missing. Never saw it again. A few months later, I got a kitten the looked exactly the same as her.. only had him a year before being eatin by the neighbors dog.

Cheers to Buzz!

I lost my dog of 18 years a little over a year ago, and it was the hardest experience of my life. I definitely sympathize with you.

I'll raise a pint tonight to Buzz.

Damnit - now I'm thinking about my dog from highschool (we have dogs now... but there isn't that connection...).

Sorry to hear that, brother. I had to put down my pooch, a shepherd/boxer, about 8 years ago, after 13 years, and I still get a little misty at the thought.
:mug:

EDIT: I knew my dog was special when, the first weekend that I had him, a buddy of mine knocked over a Guinness, and the dog lapped it ALL up before my now-ex could get towels to wipe it up!!!

That's crushing news to hear, I'm sorry it came to that. He was a really cute pup (I miss my dogs too).

Really sad, but it sounds like he knew it was time. The night before I put Nuggett (a goldie mix) down, he lay in the backyard and cried. He could barely walk at that point.

definitely will raise a pint to him tonight... very sorry/sad to hear but as david said, sounds like he was ready to cross over.

yeah, I only got a phone call:
" took her to the vet... blah, blah ... urinary infection ....needle... mistake, blood .... $6k .... not our fault, it happens.... sorry, good luck." (first day of finals)

I'm sorry it was necessary, but you got every last minute! You're both lucky that way.

I'm just looking at your pics again, and that bandaid pic is a heart-string-tugger. what a cutie, he's looking right at you.

(originally when I read the title, I thought some dude in a baseball hat fell asleep while you were mashing, and he was drinkin'. I'm glad I read this anyway.)

(If he barked at the word 'beer', could you name your next batch "Bark".)

I'm dreading the day that I have to put my guy down. Like you, I have a yellow lab. Just reading this thread makes me sad - I can't imagine.

Sorry for your loss. :(

Really sorry to hear of this Schlenkerla... We have two 9 year old dogs (golden and irish setter) and I know the day is coming cuz I see them aging in front of my eyes. It's tough to let them go, but better not to watch them suffer needlessly. I will raise a pint in Buzz' honor this evening.

Back