Pushing beer with 16g CO2 catridges

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auger

Reaction score
There are a number of devices that allow a homebrewer to attach a small, threaded 16g CO2 catridge to a keg to push beer, without having to lug a larger tank and regulator around.

Question - how many kegs can you push with one 16g cartridge? Anyone have experience with these gadgets?

There are a number of devices that allow a homebrewer to attach a small, threaded 16g CO2 catridge to a keg to push beer, without having to lug a larger tank and regulator around.

Question - how many kegs can you push with one 16g cartridge? Anyone have experience with these gadgets?

I think it takes me about 3 of those little "charger" things in the gun to push a 5 gallon keg.

I'd guess 4 or so. Those chargers are pretty good but I hate having to trust guests to know how to use one. I bought one that uses 75 gram CO2 cartridges that claims it can push a full corny keg and it does. But what I don't like about it is that it doesn't regulate. It keeps pouring gas into the keg as long as the valve is open, unlike a standard regulator that just keeps the keg at 10 psi or whatever you set it at. Learned that the hard way, damn near blew up a keg with too much pressure.

Good to know, thanks. Waffling between using the mini cartridges, possibly with one of the mini-inline regulators, or using my existing regulator and a 24oz paintball tank and adapter for portable serving from a jockey box.

Back