pushing a month before bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregules

Reaction score
Oh wise ones give me your advice. Ok, here’s the deal, got two batches in primary’s. One is a wheat and the other a porter. Two full weeks will be up this weekend. Was planning on checking the FG and if they are good, bottling both. From what I have read here on the posts, (thank you) I believe that is a good plan on the wheat. However, thinking about leaving the porter in the primary or moving to a secondary and letting it simmer some more. Here’s the catch, will be leaving to go out of town next Friday for ten days. That will be pushing a month before bottling. Suggestions? Thoughts? Any guidance is appreciated. Thank you

Gregules

Bottle the wheat. I think that your porter would benefit if you leave it in the primary or move to the secondary. Many HBT members leave brews for about a month in primaries/secondaries with no negative effects. Its up to you.

Hope this helps,

Dave

p.s. How long do you think it will be until somebody mentions autolysis :drunk:...

The good thing about bottling the wheat is that it will be carbed when you get back and you won't go rushing the Porter along. A month before bottling is like bare minimum. Once you realize how much better the beer is after the wait, you'll try going out of town more often.

+1 for going ahead on bottling the wheat, and giving the porter more time to condition in bulk. Its up to you if you want to rack it to a secondary or just elave it on the yeat cake. At only a caouple weeks old, it will be fine either way.

/agree

bottle the wheat, transfer the porter to secondary (or leave it in primary), enjoy your time out of town.

then enjoy some great wheat beer when you get back and bottle the porter (and leave it for several months while you brew more beer :D)

Back