Pushed airlock bung into my carboy. Uh, yeah.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anubis

Reaction score
So I was fixing a little blow off issue and when I went to put the airlock back on I pushed the rubber bung into the carboy and my fermenting beer. I am not to worried about contamination as I always spray sanitizer all over anything coming in contact with the fermentor.

But in four weeks my beer will be done and I'll have to retrieve that little bastard, any suggestions?:D

Plastic grocery bag or garbage bag... push one end in, flip the carboy over to get the stopper at the mouth and pull the bag out. It'll pull the stopper out too. This problem apparently is pretty common, lol.

get a thin towel or piece of material that isn't too thick, put about 6 inches into the neck of the carboy,tip carboy upside down so bung rests on material,pull material so friction jambs it in place,put carboy on ground and pull hard,out it pops.

it works with a cork in a wine bottle so i'm guessing it will work with a bung.

good luck:mug:

edit:tom beat me to it!

That's awesome. I had a million different ideas and I knew if I just asked I would get a simple and effective solution.
Thanks guys!

I've got one of those flexible reach extension grabbers. Tied a nail to a string, passed it through the bunghole, used the grabber to get the nail through the neck of the carboy, and pulled it out with both sides of the string. you may want to get it wet for lubrication. Dry rubber on glass = friction.

Use string or a shoe lace and insert it into the bottle holding onto both ends. Tip the bottle or carboy upside down so it is against the neck and pull. It is best if the tapered end is coming out first of cousre.

Salute! :mug:

Back