Purpose of boiling 90min vs 60?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhubert

Reaction score
I am put together a grain bill to clone Lakefront IBA. I went off the data sheet from the all grain kit sold on NB. It states in the data sheet "Lakefront recommends a 90 min boil for this recipe, making the first hop addition with 60 min remaining". The hop bill for this is 1 oz. Columbus (60min), .66 oz. Cascade (20min), 1.33 oz. Cascade (5min), then Dry Hop for 7 days with .5oz Centennial, 1 oz. Cascade and .5oz. Columbus.

To avoid doing the whole "that's already been discussed, use the search function" thing, the reason to boil 90 minutes is to boil off dimethyl sulfide (DMS/creamed corn taste). This is really only an issue with pilsner malt and is a non issue with other malts. If the hop schedule starts at 60 minutes, there's no real reason to boil 90. However, a slightly higher degree of caramelization will occur with the longer boil, but only slightly.

DamageCT said:
If you put them in at 60 minutes on top of having some in at the initial boil point? :drunk: don't understand your question.

First hops go in at 60. So the 90 min boil shouldn't change the hop utilization vs 60 min boil with hops in at the beginning of boil. Maybe I misunderstand?

Latest posts

Back