purging kegs off O2 - liquid in Co2 lines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kombujo

Reaction score
Hi All,
I am carbing 6 cornys of kombucha via a manifold in chest freezer/fridge.
I understand that you need to purge O2 from headspace. To do so I have been connecting all kegs to Co2 via manifold and then 1 by 1 releasing the headspace from each keg until it bubbles a bit. In doing so I've managed to get some liquid in my CO2 lines. I don't have check valves. I want the same CO2 input to all 6 kegs.
I'm assuming there's a more effective and safer way to do this without getting liquid in CO2 lines. I assume it is happening due to fluctuations in Co2 pressure when the O2 is released from each keg.
Help for newbie most appreciated.
Cheers

Liquid flows from high to low pressure. That’s how a tap system works. We pressure a keg and when a tap is open the liquid flows from high (the keg) to low (the atmosphere).

Basically, that’s what you are doing. Creating high pressure in a network of kegs and lowering pressure in one keg so the liquid flows high to low. The whole network has to be at the same pressure to keep this from happening.

If you relieve pressure from one keg via the pressure relief pull tab while another is still pressurized with CO2 via the gas in port, you are going to create a pressure imbalance in the network and the liquid will flow into the lines. You have to disconnect the gas pressure from the other kegs while you work with one keg at a time.

If I’m not mistake the check valves operate at 30 psi. You aren’t using 30 psi probably so they aren’t reactiving to the imbalance.

Last edited:
Liquid flows from high to low pressure. That’s how a tap system works. We pressure a keg and when a tap is open the liquid flows from high (the keg) to low (the atmosphere).

Basically, that’s what you are doing. Creating high pressure in a network of kegs and lowering pressure in one keg so the liquid flows high to low. The whole network has to be at the same pressure to keep this from happening.

If you relieve pressure from one keg via the pressure relief pull tab while another is still pressurized with CO2 via the gas in port, you are going to create a pressure imbalance in the network and the liquid will flow into the lines. You have to disconnect the gas pressure from the other kegs while you work with one keg at a time.

If I’m not mistake the check valves operate at 30 psi. You aren’t using 30 psi probably so they aren’t reactiving to the imbalance.
Thanks Brewbama

Back