Purged Keg Losing Pressure While Sitting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barhoc11

Reaction score
I just filled a keg on Saturday with some Irish Red, I hit it with 30psi and later in the day the lid was not on tight when I put a little pressure on it with my hand.

I know this can happen because the beer inside absorbs the CO2 so how do I make sure I keep a tight seal on the keg without constantly hooking up my gas and hitting it with another blast of CO2? I do not want to hook up this keg in my keezer for a couple weeks but I want to make sure I don't get it contaminated if the lid becomes loose. Do I have any options? I have checked for leaks with soapy water but I could not find anything.

Help is appreciated!

None of my kegs loose pressure when I press on the lid, even when empty. That sounds like a problem in it self. Maybe you can bend the little "feet" to make the lid more secure?

The CO2 in the head space will always seek equilibrium unit the beer is carbonated.

Do you see an issue with my situation? It seems like my seal is maintained even though the gas is being absorbed into my beer, as long as I don't put weight on the lid.

Do you see an issue with my situation? It seems like my seal is maintained even though the gas is being absorbed into my beer, as long as I don't put weight on the lid.

You'll be fine. I would hit it with gas ever week or so just to keep the pressure up.

Ideally, your keg lid should remain sealed even in the absense of significant internal pressure. If you can "burp" the keg with modest pressure on the lid, imo that's indicative of something amiss.

Assuming you have a viable lid O-ring (ie: not dried out/hardened) and the lid and keg opening are free of dings/nicks/distortion that would affect the ability to seal tight, one easy/quick thing you can try is to unlock the lid closure, place dimes under the lid closure feet, then re-lock the lid. This will add a bit more pressure on the lid O-ring and may well keep it sealed tight, even once any CO2 in the head space has been absorbed by the beer within...

Cheers!

Ideally, your keg lid should remain sealed even in the absense of significant internal pressure. If you can "burp" the keg with modest pressure on the lid, imo that's indicative of something amiss.

Assuming you have a viable lid O-ring (ie: not dried out/hardened) and the lid and keg opening are free of dings/nicks/distortion that would affect the ability to seal tight, one easy/quick thing you can try is to unlock the lid closure, place dimes under the lid closure feet, then re-lock the lid. This will add a bit more pressure on the lid O-ring and may well keep it sealed tight, even once any CO2 in the head space has been absorbed by the beer within...

Cheers!

That is a good idea, I will try the dime trick for good measure and see if it helps

I have a couple of kegs that WILL NOT hold a seal unless the pressure is above 20psi. They have dented lid openings.

I replaced the o-rings with oversized, soft silicone o-rings. No more leaks.

Frankly, I'm going to replace ALL my lid o-rings with the big ones over time.

I have a couple of kegs that WILL NOT hold a seal unless the pressure is above 20psi. They have dented lid openings.

I replaced the o-rings with oversized, soft silicone o-rings. No more leaks.

Frankly, I'm going to replace ALL my lid o-rings with the big ones over time.

I replaced all of my o rings on this keg but I do like what you say about 'oversized' o rings.

Do you have more info on these oversized o rings?

Thanks for the advice, I tried the dime trick on a few kegs that would dribble out water if I had them tipped upside down and it worked like a charm.

I may order some of those fatter o-rings but I just bought a ton of the rubber ones from McMaster-Carr.

Back