Pureed Fruit In Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brobi593

Reaction score
His might be a dumb question but why wouldn't you purée the fruit before adding to mead? Or should you? Or does it matter? Like peaches/figs ect...

basically your creating more surface area to extract all the flavors you want from said fruit. imagine tossing in a whole apple, or apple sauce, which would you get more flavor from do you think?

I like the purée idea. But I'm new and my buddy that got me into this recommended against it. I was just curious what others did.

meh, it's up to you. be sanitary with everything and you should be fine!! best way to learn in this hobby is to try it out.

I did a 1/2 puree of pineapple and mango for a mead 4 months ago. The only problem I ran into is that the fruit added a great deal more fermentable sugars. My airlock was a "rolling boil" for 7 days straight. I filtered into secondary and it resembled orange juice. After 2 months in secondary, it finished a nice ruddy brown. It is a bit strong-19.54%- but everyone that has tried it has enjoyed the flavor.

"Faster" fermentation?
Pureed fruit will expose all the sugars to the yeast at one time. Chunked fruit will slowly release sugars as the yeast eats sugars.
I know this will affect flavor, I'm just not 100% sure how.

As long as you don't under pitch your yeast you shouldn't get any off flavors from vigorous fermentation.

Well I pureed fruit in a one gallon and a five gallon. I used half a package of yeast in the one and two packs in the five. Neither batch is fermenting rapidly. If anything they are fermenting abnormally slow. I used a pectic enzyme but being new, I'm not sure if this is the reason or not.

I did a 1/2 puree of pineapple and mango for a mead 4 months ago. The only problem I ran into is that the fruit added a great deal more fermentable sugars. My airlock was a "rolling boil" for 7 days straight. I filtered into secondary and it resembled orange juice. After 2 months in secondary, it finished a nice ruddy brown. It is a bit strong-19.54%- but everyone that has tried it has enjoyed the flavor.
Was this Milford a mead? If so how much honey did you add?

Was this Milford a mead? If so how much honey did you add?
Just so you know, TheB hasn't been seen since Feb 8, 2013. You will not likely get an answer from him/her. If you read the forums & find you still have a question, you may want to just ask. People here are generally willing to help when they can.😉
Happy meading 😎

The main downside I could see is that it would take longer to clear, as even if you bag it to catch the larger chunks, by doing a puree there are more tiny particulates that will need to settle out. So, if you want to bottle age, I would say not to use a puree, but if you plan to bulk age, why not? Meads already have an extended aging time so as long as you plan for having to rack off the lees(so make a little more than your target amount so you can top off with the extra), I see no problem.

Back