Punctured package of dry yeast! Help please, ASAP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kartracer2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was going to brew up a batch of beer today. When I'm setting out the supplies I noticed that that the package of Lallermand Kolch yeast has a hole poked in it. I have no idea when it happened. It might have been that way when I got or when I got it out today.
It has been in my fridge in a bag with the hops pouches and specialty grain bags from the day I got it. about 45 days ago. I am going to assume that it will be OK to use but I sure would like some opinions on my situation. Exp date is 02/2021 if that makes any diff.
I have a bottle of Voss kevik slury saved back from 2 wks. ago as a backup(?) if that might be a better option.
Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Joel B.

I was going to brew up a batch of beer today. When I'm setting out the supplies I noticed that that the package of Lallermand Kolch yeast has a hole poked in it. I have no idea when it happened. It might have been that way when I got or when I got it out today.
It has been in my fridge in a bag with the hops pouches and specialty grain bags from the day I got it. about 45 days ago. I am going to assume that it will be OK to use but I sure would like some opinions on my situation. Exp date is 02/2021 if that makes any diff.
I have a bottle of Voss kevik slury saved back from 2 wks. ago as a backup(?) if that might be a better option.
Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Joel B.
Is there any left in the packet?

Depends on your motivation. For me it financial and would depend on batch size. If it were a large batch..go with whats proven. If it were a 5 gallon or smaller...I’d give the kolsch a chance. If 24-36 hrs pass with no gravity drop, raise temp to Kviek level and use the Voss.

Is there any left in the packet?
From my measurements 1/2g at the most lost.

Depends on your motivation. For me it financial and would depend on batch size. If it were a large batch..go with whats proven. If it were a 5 gallon or smaller...I’d give the kolsch a chance. If 24-36 hrs pass with no gravity drop, raise temp to Kviek level and use the Voss.
It's a 5gal batch. 1.060 SG. I have never pitched slury so that's the only thing that had stopped me from trying that. Funny thing is I had thought about pitching the slury first and having the packet of yeast as the back up till I saw it opened. I then kinda freaked out. Plan A/B has now turned in to "Now what", I didn't have a plan "C". (LOL)
Thanks,
Joel B.

It is still granulated. I checked that first thing.

Could you give me a quick explantion on that? I am again stupid on some things.
Thanks.
Joel B.
If it is still granulated it should be fine bakers yeast is sold in jars... opened and closed many times and keeps in the fridge just fine.

What I’m calling a vitality starter is simply mixing up about a cup of wort and putting your yeast in... a sanitized mason jar will do. Let yeast rehydrate then shake it later shake again you’ll see foaming and signs of fermentation.

@Hoppy2bmerry Thanks for your input. I wish I would not have noticed the pack opened. (LOL) I would have been to the point of no return by now.
This is the first "OH Shizz, now what" I have had except for the first time I wished I knew about a blow off setup. (I prep for that on every ferment now).
I guess I need to do more research on yeast management/ care/ health. I'm a bit scared about using slurry as that's new to me. Revised plan "A" (now tomorrow) is to pitch 3 or 4 tbls. of slurry and see what happens, Step out of my comfort zone and try something new, that's why I saved the slurry in the first place. (duh)
🤔I just now thought about my last ferment. I split a pack of dry Voss Kevik, the second batch from the opened pack semi-sealed in the fridge. I never gave that a second thought to do that then. Why I freaked out this time I'm not sure. (double duh). Live, learn and experience as I go I guess. Sometimes it's it's nice to be reassured tho, some times ya just have to say "Dam the torpedo's, full speed ahead".

Thanks again.
Cheers, :mug:
Joel B.

I’ve repitched Voss from slurry twice now. I wouldn't worry about it. That stuff is hardy. Just remember to let it come up to temp prior to pitching.

Curious, what temp are you going to ferment at with Voss?

Curious, what temp are you going to ferment at with Voss?
The first batch @90F and just wrapped it up in several layers of towels and let it ride and it fell down to 75/78 at the end. (6/7 days)
The second batched @95F, heating pad on medium, wrapped and it stayed 95/97 for 4 days.
Both 1.080 to .013 & .011 respectively.
Probably do the 95* to 100* this time, heat and wrap again.
10-4 0n the "up to temp" on the slurry, kinda figured on that. Thanks.

How much Voss slurry did you pitch?
Thanks again,
Joel B.

@Hoppy2bmerry Thanks for your input. I wish I would not have noticed the pack opened. (LOL) I would have been to the point of no return by now.
This is the first "OH Shizz, now what" I have had except for the first time I wished I knew about a blow off setup. (I prep for that on every ferment now).
I guess I need to do more research on yeast management/ care/ health. I'm a bit scared about using slurry as that's new to me. Revised plan "A" (now tomorrow) is to pitch 3 or 4 tbls. of slurry and see what happens, Step out of my comfort zone and try something new, that's why I saved the slurry in the first place. (duh)
🤔I just now thought about my last ferment. I split a pack of dry Voss Kevik, the second batch from the opened pack semi-sealed in the fridge. I never gave that a second thought to do that then. Why I freaked out this time I'm not sure. (double duh). Live, learn and experience as I go I guess. Sometimes it's it's nice to be reassured tho, some times ya just have to say "Dam the torpedo's, full speed ahead".

Thanks again.
Joel B.
No problem, this is what the forum is for, sharing information and experiences. Ultimately the decision is yours based on all the info and your comfort level.
:bigmug: make beer!

@kartracer2 The first reuse I used most of what I had due to the fact it was my first time reusing any yeast. I honestly did not measure. Eyeball scale told me ~3-4tbsp. Worked very well but cleaner profile than I was expecting..which was a happy accident.

2nd time based on the post from the Horindal thread below, I used a tablespoon. It was a 4.6 session IPA with nutrient added. Got the orange I was looking for from that. Both 5 gal batches. Zero temp control save for a blanket and a California summer.

A side note that may be helpful. I emailed Yeast Bay prior to ordering from them as they were one of the few with Voss as an offering at the time. Told them it was for 1.080 imperial saison. They suggested I use only half the vial (it shipped liquid). I did...it dropped to very near FG in 3 1/2 days. First day it was 101f. Next two days were high 90’s.
Its a beast.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/hornindal-kveik-is-blowing-my-mind.653929/post-8599857

@NGD Thanks much. It will be my first at a re-pitch also and I was thinking the same amount. Lots of different Kevik's out there. I chose the dry Lallermand because of shipping temps and ferment temps. It's a killer also. A "Quick starting warm wort whipper!" (LOL)
Thanks again,
Joel B.

I don't know what to tell you about the Kölsch yeast, but the Lallemand Voss slurry will be fine to repitch. A teaspoon or two for a 19L/5g batch should be plenty. If you decide to go with the Kölsch first and end up pitching the Voss as a backup later, I'd use more of the slurry so that it gets to work even faster.

@ebbelwoi Hey thanks, I haven't made my mind up100% yet on which way I'll go yet. I laugh at how wound up got over something that if I just would have thought about a little more would have been a non-issue.
Any way thanks again for the input.
Cheers,
Joel B.

Latest posts

Back