Punching hole in bag for kettle side return port

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnwpowell

Reaction score
I have a return port in the side of my kettle I also use for my steam condenser. I’m thinking about using a hollow punch to create a nice round hole to feed through a silicone hose from my recirculation port into the bag. It is very high up and absolutely no chance of grain going through the hole.

Has anyone done this and would it be a bad idea?

I don't recirculate, so I have not done this, but I don't think you will cause yourself any problems in doing so.

Seal the edges of the cut with heat, to prevent fraying.

Couldn't you put a silicone hose on the return port and feed the other end up through the opening in the bag? That seems less likely to lead to unintended bad consequences than cutting a hole in the bag.

If your ports are at the top of the kettle, above the mash liquid level, I suggest a slit in the bag that can be cinched up underneath the port or ports.
simpler and more practical than cutting a hole.

good advice above, heat seal the cut edge w/ very gentle flame close to fabric.

If your ports are at the top of the kettle, above the mash liquid level, I suggest a slit in the bag that can be cinched up underneath the port or ports.
simpler and more practical than cutting a hole.

good advice above, heat seal the cut edge w/ very gentle flame close to fabric.

I have a set of hollow punches that I use for cutting neoprene and the like. I plan to heat it up and burn a perfect circle in the bag. Taking previous experience working with sheet metal, when it develops a crack, you can drill a hole to stop the crack, and I think the same logic would work on the bag. A slit can continue to tear whereas a hole cannot.

Ok
Poly voile fabric doesn’t tear that easily like typical other fabrics....but may stretch and deform a bit when cut 45 degrees to the weave direction when cutting a circle.

a slit would be much easier to repair if the results aren’t to your liking lol :)

Ok
Poly voile fabric doesn’t tear that easily like typical other fabrics....but may stretch and deform a bit when cut 45 degrees to the weave direction when cutting a circle.

a slit would be much easier to repair if the results aren’t to your liking lol :)
I'll give it a try. IF I make a slit, I can always make a hole. If I make a hole, I can't make a slit :)

Back