Punched a hole in my MLT!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CodeRage

Death by Magumba!
Reaction score
Accidentally punched a hole in the bottome of my MLT cooler with a screw driver. Can I patch this with silicone or am I out 20 bucks?

I've been wondering about fixing scratches and the like in these coolers by "welding" them. Has anyone tried using a good heat source and melting a scratch, or in this case a hole, closed?

Give it a try, what have yu got to loose? You can't screw it up more than it already is. Worst case scenario you still have a MLT with a hole in it. OTOH, you might fix it. I'd try takiing a putty knife and heating it witha plumbers torch then melting and 'plastering' the plastic. Good luck.

I bet the silicone will work just fine, particularly if it's a nice clean hole. With white silicone, the repair might even be close to invisible. I'd let it cure a few days before testing.

I think I'd lean more towards a plastic repair epoxy for a permanent fix. Silicone stays kind of soft and if you scrape it with a paddle, you may have pieces floating in your mash.

I think if it were me I'd put some kind of plug in the hole as well. A piece of wood dowel or something that is the size of the hole but not quite as deep so you can fully epoxy or silicone the top of it. You could fully coat the dowel so it sticks to all the sides of the hole. Just for a little bit extra support. Probably not necessary but wouldn't hurt.

I did it with a flat blade screw driver so it is more of a slit than anything. It is underneath where the manifold is going to go so bumping it isnt an issue. I was taking the drain off the screw driver slipped and I stabbed the bottom.

I know silicone is pretty inert after it has had a chance to cure and very heat resistant. I think Ill just try to patch it and see how it goes.

If the cooler is made out of polyethylene (it probably is) silicone won't stick to it. It'll peel right off once it's cured.

I would weld it, You can get plastic welders at auto parts stores and tool stores, they have a gun like a soldering Iron and you get these long strips of plastic that should be right next to them, We always used them to repair puntures and rips in car bumpers.

RICLARK said:
I would weld it, You can get plastic welders at auto parts stores and tool stores, they have a gun like a soldering Iron and you get these long strips of plastic that should be right next to them, We always used them to repair puntures and rips in car bumpers.

If you are going to weld it (probably the best repair) make sure you use rod designed for the plastic you are welding (they are not all the same). See Wiki for more information on plastic welding.

Virtuous said:
Accidentally punched a hole in the bottome of my MLT cooler with a screw driver. Can I patch this with silicone or am I out 20 bucks?

I'd go for the "spend the 20 and get a new MLT" route myself. I know that money isn't easy to come by, but in the long run you'll probably be better off. If you "what if" to the negative, you end up with whatever fix you tried failing and all your wort on the floor. Take it from me, after dumping 1.5 gallons of beer during the racking process, you can't simply wet/dry vac it up and filter it... not that I would ever consider doing that or anything:eek:

Seabee John said:
I'd go for the "spend the 20 and get a new MLT" route myself. I know that money isn't easy to come by, but in the long run you'll probably be better off. If you "what if" to the negative, you end up with whatever fix you tried failing and all your wort on the floor. Take it from me, after dumping 1.5 gallons of beer during the racking process, you can't simply wet/dry vac it up and filter it... not that I would ever consider doing that or anything:eek:

Yeah, you're right. The right way to fix it is a plastic welder and I dont see spending $50 to fix a $20 cooler.

Seal it up w/ silicone. I would roughen the area first w/ some course grit sandpaper to give the glue something to bite on. If the repair fails and it starts leaking, just switch to fly sparge!! J/K

OR, pop a hole in it at the slit and assemble a bulkhead with washers, o-rings and a plug....anything that can be o-ringed and fastened would cure the problem.

Silicone will not last.

Or shop for your preferred cooler...and chit-can it.

silicone, will not stick.
call your local glass shops, ask them if they stock weld-on#16. get a tube of that, and a scrap of acrylic from them. put the #16 in and around the hole and the acrylic bandaid on top of it let it cure till the next day, you will be good to go.

Bobby_M said:
I wonder if 1-minute epoxy would stick. It's only like $2 at Lowes. Run a circular bead and cover it with a "patch" of thin plastic scrap.
Are the various epoxies you guys are recommending food safe? I'd be concerned about leaching since hot water is being poured in the cooler.

Back