Pumps and Freezing Weather

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattreba

Reaction score
So far I've only done one wet test of my system and I have concerns about freezing temperatures. My setup is in the garage and we haven't seen many days above freezing lately. How does everyone completely drain their system? Does anyone have any experience with water/wort freezing in their tubing or pump? I'm guessing this is bad for the pump. Should i consider a portable pump setup and keep the pump indoors?

mattreba said:
So far I've only done one wet test of my system and I have concerns about freezing temperatures. My setup is in the garage and we haven't seen many days above freezing lately. How does everyone completely drain their system? Does anyone have any experience with water/wort freezing in their tubing or pump? I'm guessing this is bad for the pump. Should i consider a portable pump setup and keep the pump indoors?
I live in Minnesota, if you look at the weather reports for here, we have had a lot of below zero days. My new system sits in the porch which is not heated, and I had to test the pump the other day... I do drain the whole system when I am done. The pump sits at the lowest point in the set up and then I put a valve after it for draining, after the system is drained, I take my air compressor to the line and blow the system out to get any residual left over water. This does well.
Your idea for portability is a good one though so if it isn't a lot of hassle, design it that way and then you do not have to worry about it. S.

Back