pumpkin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oguss0311

Reaction score
Last year I grew some kick ass hot peppers, tomato’s, etc. This year, I figure I’ll throw some pumpkin seeds in the ground for a pumpkin ale this fall. What types of pumpkins have you all been using and enjoying? I’ve read plenty about growing them- now I just want to know what types taste best!

Most people use Libby's canned pumpkin - I believe it's pasteurized (?) going into the can, so asepsis is less of a concern. Don't know what to tell ya re: fresh pumpkin, hopefully someone will jump in!

This year I'm using pie pumpkins, I did canned last year and wasn't pleased with it.. personal taste though.

Butternut squash is the best "Pumpkin" you can use.... I have put up a good recipe for a pumpkin beer using butternut squash. Pumpkin actually doesn't have any flavor in and of its self. Most pumpkin pie flavor comes from the spices, and picking the right hops. The butternut squash actually has more flavor than the pumpkin, so you should grow some of that. You should also make sure you nail your spices when you make your brew, freshly grind your cinnimon nutmeg and other spices, it makes a world of difference.

Makes sense- I'll check out your recipies- and will plant some butternut squash (I know of a few other uses for it, too). Thats good insight on the pumpkin- now that I recall the pumpkin ales that I have liked before- they did have spices that are reminicent (sp- that does not look right at all) of pumpkin pie- rather than the actual fruit.

Donasay said:
Pumpkin actually doesn't have any flavor in and of its self.

The grocery store Jack O'Lantern varieties I heartily agree though I like to tell myself that a true pie pumpkin ale with some spices will be better than a sans-pumpkin pum[kin pie spiced ale :D It's all squash in the end though...

BTW, You know who else likes pumpkin pie?

RachaelRay.jpg

Hopleaf said:
The grocery store Jack O'Lantern varieties I heartily agree though I like to tell myself that a true pie pumpkin ale with some spices will be better than a sans-pumpkin pum[kin pie spiced ale :D It's all squash in the end though...

BTW, You know who else likes pumpkin pie?

RachaelRay.jpg

I dont know but Im buyin... lol

Ever thought of using Sweet Potato instead of squash? After using fresh pumpkin this year without great results I thought maybe sweet potato would work better.

Although my pumpkin ale was my least favorite brew so far it got very good reviews from coworkers and friends. I think I added a little too much cloves/allspice and I even cut the spices the recipe listed in half.

I used sugar pumpkins this year and had great results. I quartered the pumpkins with the skins on and removed the seeds/pulp. Then placed on cookie sheets (lined with foil) in a 300 degree oven for 2+ hours until dark and roasty. Let them cool and scrape the skins out with a spoon. Puree in a food processor.
Mmmmmmmmmmmmm tasty pumpkin ale. One of my husbands favorite beers now and he doesn't like pumpkin.

Oh, I wound up with over 15 lbs of roasted pumpkin.

Melana said:
I used sugar pumpkins this year and had great results. I quartered the pumpkins with the skins on and removed the seeds/pulp. Then placed on cookie sheets (lined with foil) in a 300 degree oven for 2+ hours until dark and roasty. Let them cool and scrape the skins out with a spoon. Puree in a food processor.
Mmmmmmmmmmmmm tasty pumpkin ale. One of my husbands favorite beers now and he doesn't like pumpkin.

Oh, I wound up with over 15 lbs of roasted pumpkin.

How many pumpkins did you buy?

Hopleaf said:
How many pumpkins did you buy?

I only bought 3 and my mother-in-law was nice enough to give me a few more. I figure if are going through all that trouble for one 6 or 7 are just as easy! :rockin:

Latest posts

Back