Pumpkin spice IPA? First all grain recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myndflyte

Reaction score
So today I took my first step into all grain brewing. I used the following recipe:

10 lb 2-Row
1 lb Caramel 10
0.5 lb Chocolate Malt
0.25 Carapils

2.0 oz Kent Golding @ 60 min
1.0 oz Fuggle @ 15 min (was supposed to be at 5 min but I screwed up)

2.0 Tbls Pumpkin Pie Spice @ 15 min

US-05

Mash @ 153 F with 3.75 gal water for 60 min
Batch sparge @ 180 F with 4.65 gal water

So the mash went perfect. I hit my target 153 F and it lost maybe 1 degree in the 60 min. And batch sparging went just fine. I got good clear runnings from both.

Pre-boil OG = 1.045

I had about 6.5 gal in the boil and everything went great except I added the Fuggles at 15 instead of 5 min. Dammit! And I didn't realize that I made the mistake till I took my post boil sample.

Post boil OG = 1.056

So in combination with a lower than expected efficiency (65%) and the extra 10 min of hops, I think I've brewed a pumpkin spice IPA. But the more I drink the sample, the more it grows on me. The pumpkin spice aroma and flavor are on the front and then the bitterness hits at the end.

All in all, all grain was fun. It felt way more rewarding than just extract brewing and despite having to do everything on an apartment stove, it went pretty well.

Is there anyway to help increase my efficiency with batch sparging or will I just have to compensate my grain bills for the lower efficiency?

It's definitely not an IPA. Looks more like a brown ale. Chocolate malt is roasty, so you've got a little bit of roast in there, along with English hops so it's a bit of an English brown, but with pumpkin spice.

Yeah now that I was thinking about it, I know it's not an IPA. I think the excitement of the all grain and the unexpected hoppiness made me jump to the first hoppy thing I could think of, lol.

I've brewed the extract version of this before and was just surprised how different it tasted this time.

Back