Pumpkin spice ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewme29

Reaction score
Making our first pumpkin ale. When do you guys prefer to put the spices in?

I just started drinking a Pumpkin ale that I made a while back. My instructions were to add the spice at the end of the boil. It smelled great and while the wife was standing there getting ready to help me with the cooling, she said she would even be willing to drink some. Well, even though it isn't a bad beer, it doesn't taste anything like it had smelled. I had read about people making a tea out of the spices and adding it to the bottling bucket. I think that is what I will end up trying with the next batch that I make.

I just brewed an imperial pumpkin pie ale, and the recipe had the spices added at 5 minutes. However, with that said I have a question. Is it suggested to put cloves and a cinnamon stick or any other spices in my secondary?

When I did mine I put it in at the last 5 minutes of the boil. When I bottled it a few nights sgo the pumpkin spice was very mellow while letting you know it was still a porter.

Back