pumpkin spice ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nootay

Reaction score
Ive looked through most of the recipes and i cant find too many extract pumpkin ale recipes. What im looking for is a pumpkin ale similar to dogfish heads punkin ale. Can that be done with extract? Maybe i would have to do a partial mash? I figure in the next month or two would be a good time to start one for the fall. Any good recipes that people have tried would be great to see!

The owner wrote a book called Extreme Brewing where he published most of his recipes as well as a few other good ones. I know Punkin Ale is in there but I can't remember if it's all grain or extract (book is outside in my car right now). You could get the recipe from there and if it's all grain, use BeerSmith or something similar to convert it to all grain.

I would post the recipe but I'm not sure if there's a forum policy against posting published recipes. I'm pretty sure Sam Calagione wouldn't mind but I'd need clarification from a moderator first.

Edit: I just checked and that recipe uses extract. It looks like all of the recipes in the book are extract, only using grains for steeping. If you can get a hold of it, I'd recommend it.

I brewed pumpkin ale last October using a kit from my local homebrew shop. Here’s the link from their website which includes the ingredients about half way down the page:

http://store.homebrewheaven.com/hop-goblin-pumpkin-ale-p1769.aspx?ShowQuestions=True

The recipe was a mini-mash, and it was probably the best specialty beers that I have brewed because you could taste the pumpkin and the spices. I've only had a handful commercial pumpkin beers, but the ones I have tasted like watered down pumpkin pie spice.

"Brewing Classic Styles" has a pumpkin ale extract recipe in it, however I've not tried it. Just a suggestion though. The book is great for all recipes of all styles.

Back