Pumpkin Pie Spice Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullhawk

Reaction score
I just kegged my second Pumpkin Pie Spiced Ale of the season this morning, the pumpkin pie flavor is a little weak. I added a 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and 4 cloves with 5 minutes left in the boil. I tinctured 3 vanilla beans in vodka for 2 weeks and added when kegged. I also made 2 teaspoons of a pumpkin pie tincture in vodka for two weeks and added at kegging. I was hoping for a stronger pumpkin pie flavor, my question is can I just add some pumpkin pie spice to keg after it is carbed up if it still doesn't have the flavor I'm looking for? Below is the recipe, this is my second batch of this beer and the first one went quick.

1. 18.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 89.5 %
2. 2.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 10.5 %
3. 1.00 oz Magnum [13.10%] (60 min) Hops 36.2 IBU
4. .5.00 oz Sterling [6.00%] (10 min) Hops 3.0 IBU
5. Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
6. 4 lbs. Libby’s all natural pumpkin. 350* @ 60 minutes in
Oven, cool to room temperature add to mash.
7. 1 Pkgs London Ale (Wyeast Labs #1028) Yeast-Ale

8. Spice Additions - .5 tsp of the following added @ 5 minutes -
nutmeg, cloves, alspice, ginger, cinnamon

9. At kegging - 2 tsp of Pumpkin Pie spice was added per 5 gallons as well

I have never made a tea before, I assume a cup of water is sufficient, them boil the water and add the spices. How long do I boil the water for? Do you cool the tea down before adding to the keg?

I have never made a tea before, will a cup of water be sufficient to add a teaspoon of spice? How long to I boil the tea for? Should I cool the tea down before adding to the keg?

Back