Pumpkin pie ale adding a real pie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jp27300

Reaction score
So ive looked at several pumpkin ale recipes and made one last year. But it didnt have the flavor i wanted. I have the idea of adding a whole cooked pumpkin pie rather than adding the spices and pumpkin only. The flavor of a real pie is what i want. I dont think adding the pumpkin and spices to the boil will get there.

So how should i try this? To the boil, in the primary, secondary? Or is it even foolhardy to be adding a whole pumpkin pie?

Would add to the mash. sounds interesting. subbed to see results.

What do you think spices the pie?

Accurate.

However, one element missing that one might look for in such a beer is the pie crust. You could look to add this with something very bready in the malt bill, or I've also heard of brewers (commercial and home) using gingerbread extract to create this impression. Not sure where to get that -- or more importantly, how to ensure quality -- but it's an idea.

Also, pumpkin pie has that rich creamy mouthfeel, so you'd need to think about adjusting any combination of your grist/mash conditions/attenuation to help achieve that.

Or, just dump in a pumpkin pie and see what happens. I sure would love to hear how that turns out!

Accurate.

However, one element missing that one might look for in such a beer is the pie crust. You could look to add this with something very bready in the malt bill, or I've also heard of brewers (commercial and home) using gingerbread extract to create this impression. Not sure where to get that -- or more importantly, how to ensure quality -- but it's an idea.

Also, pumpkin pie has that rich creamy mouthfeel, so you'd need to think about adjusting any combination of your grist/mash conditions/attenuation to help achieve that.

Or, just dump in a pumpkin pie and see what happens. I sure would love to hear how that turns out!

My last go through i added biscuit or victory malt to simulate the crust, but it didnt. Im concerned the pie flavor will get eroded in the boil and then the primary, but adding it to the secondary might create issues. I thought of adding it with 15 min of boil left.

Accurate.

My last go through i added biscuit or victory malt to simulate the crust, but it didnt. Im concerned the pie flavor will get eroded in the boil and then the primary, but adding it to the secondary might create issues. I thought of adding it with 15 min of boil left.

I imagine that's going to cause a ton of wort loss. Adjust your recipe accordingly.

I think that sounds like as good a plan as any. You don't need to mash it, I suppose, since the sugars are already there, so toss it in as a late boil addition and see what happens! Use a strainer/hop bag, though!

Since i just want the flavor in the final beer, iv thought of a whole pie in a jar of vodka, to make an extract. Iv seen extracts for sale, but gonna try and make my own. Ill let you know how if comes out.

Ok so... Heres what i did. I attempted to make a pumpkin pie extract. I made a batch of my fav pumpkin pie recipee, ya know the stuff you poor into the crust before baking, minus the eggs. I split it into 2 mason jars and added vodka. I swirled it a bunch and let it sit. Then poured off the orange vodka layer on top weeks later. It tasted....gastly.

Ok. So. I ended up making the same pumpkin pie mix, heating it to 180 deg F for 20 min to sanitize it and then putting it in a keg and racked the pumpkin beer onto it. I laid it on its side and would roll it around 2 x a day for a week to mix the mix into the beer. I will say that i am not happy with the the base beer. Adding spices at 5 min which then go through fermentation, does not work well. If done again id add them to the secondary. That said, the mix has done its job and adds a pumpkin pie flavor to the beer.

If left for a while, the mix will settle out and the first glug of goop will come out in the first pour. It (the beer) doesn't taste bad, so ill let it sit for a month or so and see what happns.

It came out pretty good. Friends have said that it has an in your face pumpkin pie flavor, but i disagree. You can taste it unlike most commercial pumpkin ales, which have little pumpkin flavor. This is pumpkin pie flavor, which is much sweeter and stronger. I can see their point, but its not overpowering. I like the effect. Id omit the spices during fermentation next time as i think it distorts the base beer flavor.

Back