Pumpkin hefe experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evolcoms

Reaction score
So I brewed up the SWMBO slayer yesterday and I still have the brew bug! I was in my fridge and I saw I had some weisen dme on hand and hops so I thought I would do a small brew day ( 1 gallon ). The recipe I came up with was:

1 lb. Briess DME weisen
.5 lb. flaked oats
.2 lb. light brown sugar
.3 oz. Crystal hops (4.3 Alpha) 45min. Boil
1 lb. fresh pumpkin
1/4 tsp. Pumpkin pie spice
White Labs Belgian wit ale yeast (WLP400)

Looks good on Brewmate. Whatcha all think?

So here are some pictures I took during the brew process. I also used 1.5 lbs. of pumpkin. The gravity reading was difficult ,but I snapped a picture of it after it sat for a few mins. Not sure if this is a hefe since the use of wlp400, but it smelled great!

Baking the pumpkins. I ended up flipping them over so their skin side was up.

ForumRunner_20131111_184558.jpg

Steeping the oats and pumpkin.

ForumRunner_20131111_184800.png

End of boil. I added the spices at this point and removed hop sock.

ForumRunner_20131111_184942.png

Gravity reading and yeast pitched. I put a blow off tube because I have a feeling its going to go nuts.

ForumRunner_20131111_185204.png

ForumRunner_20131111_185615.jpg

Sounds interesting. I will look forward to hearing how it turns out.

Sure enough it went crazy. Im glad I put that blow off tube on. One thing I noticed today is that there is Allot of trub. I hope there is some beer left! I didnt strain the wort to remove the pumpkin. Ill just have to let it run its course and see what we get at the end. Even if I get 1 22oz. bottle ill be happy. I had allot of fun making this recipe.

Lol, so here is what I got. Im curious to how it will taste. I bottled with .76 oz. of corn sugar.

ForumRunner_20131201_120006.png

I did a 1G batch on top of a 56oz can of pumpkin puree. Basically, I had two of your picture. I ended up with .75G to bottle. Damned if it wasn't one of the best beers I ever brewed.

It smelled good before I bottled. It had a nice spicey smell with a hint of pumpkin/squash. Few more weeks until its tasting time!

So here is what I looks like after 2 weeks of bottle conditioning. Taste ok ,but im gonna cold crash the other 4 for another 2 weeks. We'll see how it tastes then. Right now there is a slight pumpkin aftertaste.....nothing else. Im having a hard time tasting or smelling any of the pumpkin spice I put in.

ForumRunner_20131215_171107.png

Back