Pumpkin Buffalo Sweat clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finsfan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast 1098
Yeast Starter: yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.057
Final Gravity: 1.012
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 @ 67
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 21 @ 70
Tasting Notes: From the firkin release: Great pumpkin pie flavors but not overwhelming, prefect brew

This is an attempt at cloning the Pumpkin Buffalo Sweat I recently had the pleasure of having on cask at a special release. Easily one of the best beers I have ever had. The recipe below comes from Northern Brewer all-grain kit for regular buffalo sweat. The pumpkin additions are exactly what the head brewer Andrew Hood sent in an email he sent me after requesting a recipe.

MASH INGREDIENTS
-- 7.75-lbs.-Briess-Pale-Ale-
-- 1-lbs.-English-Roasted-Barley-
-- 1-lbs.-German-Vienna-
-- 0.5-lbs.-Flaked-Oats-
-- 0.5-lbs.-Briess-Victory-
-- 0.375-lbs.-English-Black-Malt

MASH SCHEDULE: SINGLE INFUSION
Sacch’ Rest: 156° F for 60 minutes
Mashout: 168° F for 10 minutes

Boil
-- 0.5-lbs.-Lactose-(60-min)-
-- 1-oz.-Glacier-(60-min)-
-- 0.25-oz.-Willamette-(5-min)

Yeast to be pitched at 67 degrees

Once in secondary after reaching FG of around 1.020 to 1.018 (I made a mistake at the top of this page) these additions will be added to create the pumpkin taste.

1/2-Tablespoon of ground Pumpkin Pie Spice
1/2-teaspoon of ground Allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1-cinnamon stick
2.5-cloves

Either 1/2 vanilla bean or you can use 1/2 Tablespoon of pure vanilla extract.

Here are more notes from Tallgrass head brewer Andrew Hood:
I primed that beer with brown sugar. What you can also do is add in a roasted 4lbs Heirloom pumpkin. To prepare it all you would do is cut it in half. Get all the snot and seeds out. Take a cookie sheet and layer it with tinfoil. Put the pumpkin half’s face down. Bake the pumpkin for 60-90min at 300-320F. You want the starches in the pumpkin to convert over to sugar just like in the Mash Tun. A great indication is seeing the top of the pumpkin start to collapse and making sure its soft from the outside in. You can either boil with the pumpkin, use it in fermentation or mash in with it. I’ve used it in all parts of the brewing process.

If you enjoy holiday beers, this is seriously one that is a must! I will be brewing this is a week or so and will post my results as soon as I can. Cant wait to try this brew!

Since Andrew said he used the spices, that is what im going to do. I want to get as close as I can because it was such a great brew

Hmmm...might be best put the pumpkin in the mash or mash out. I'm a little leary of using it in primary or secondary. I also thought to make it a partial mash by replacing a couple pounds of the pale malt with some 3lbs of pale LME or plain light DME?...

Brewing this recipe now. Mash temp was a bit low, 153 degrees and my pre boil gravity was a bit low, 1.046. Not too worried though. My last few brews have had low pre boil gravity but spot on gravity going into the fermenter. Can't wait to taste this one!

Brewing this recipe now. Mash temp was a bit low, 153 degrees and my pre boil gravity was a bit low, 1.046. Not too worried though. My last few brews have had low pre boil gravity but spot on gravity going into the fermenter. Can't wait to taste this one!

NICE! Report back to us with how it turns out, best of luck! :mug:

Just transferred to secondary. The sample I took for gravity reading was awesome just the way it was! I added spices right to the secondary. I've heard of people making a spice tea before adding, but I just added them right in. Can't wait for this one. Don't know if I should bottle it or keg it though.

Just transferred to secondary. The sample I took for gravity reading was awesome just the way it was! I added spices right to the secondary. I've heard of people making a spice tea before adding, but I just added them right in. Can't wait for this one. Don't know if I should bottle it or keg it though.

id bottle it for sure. I dont know how long they actually had it sitting in firkins. Im sure itd be awesome to try a year from now :D

Haha good point. I will be making this recipe hopefully next weekend, I thought it would have been yesterday but the LHBS didnt have the right base grain

I will be brewing this up on friday finally! I have been thinking about how to add the pumpkin spices in secondary and just came up with how I will do it. I wanted it to be sanitary but I didnt wanna soak it all in vodka. When I am racking, i will put all the spices in the carboy on top of the starsan foam before racking commences :D

Blackhawk, have you had a sample of this yet?

Finsfan, I haven't had a sample yet since I put it in secondary. I just added the spices right to the secondary. Still haven't decided if I'm going to bottle or keg it yet.

Hope your brew day goes well!!

Finsfan, I haven't had a sample yet since I put it in secondary. I just added the spices right to the secondary. Still haven't decided if I'm going to bottle or keg it yet.

Hope your brew day goes well!!

Thanks, I cant wait to try this! 1st runnings looked like used motor oil :D

2013-11-29 09.15.02.jpg

Did you taste any? I just found out recently that Tallgrass uses Ugandan vanilla beans in the vanilla buffalo sweat, im sure they use the same one in this recipe. I am just going to use pure vanilla extract. Should be putting mine in secondary today or tomorrow :D

I took a gravity reading today for the first time after 8 days. Already at expected final gravity of 1.018. I decided I should taste it along side the original now since I wont have one to compare to after I add the pumpkin additions tomorrow. It is damn close! And thats even as the sample is warm, flat, and green. Cant wait to be drinking the pumpkin one in a month and half! :D

2013-12-07 16.17.12.jpg

I plan on making this recipe soon. At Beanilla.com its 2.99 plus shipping for one bean, not to bad. They do sound like a near perfect bean for this brew!

Yeah I also saw ugandan vanilla beans on that site, not a bad price at all and im pretty sure its exactly what tallgrass uses

Do you have a "Whole Foods" or "Fairway Market" near by? They're a type of supermarket and carry individual vanilla beans sold in glass vials. Not too expensive either.

I dont have either of those but I have found whole rum soaked vanilla beans, its like $10 for 2 of them tho! Almost worth it just to order the exact vanilla bean that tallgrass uses at $3 a piece

Just took the first sample after adding the spices, as the holidays got in the way of beer! I didnt have whole cloves so I used ground instead and I think I added too much. Not as much pumpkin flavor and too much after-bite from the excess clove. I will be adding more allspice and letting it sit for awhile and see if that helps. Everything else seemed to be right on point though :D

Good call....I'm really excited to hear how this turns out.

Any possibility of cloning the vanilla bean Buffalo Sweat?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Home Brew mobile app

Good call....I'm really excited to hear how this turns out.

Any possibility of cloning the vanilla bean Buffalo Sweat?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Home Brew mobile app

That is my next attempt! I think I have the base recipe down almost perfect, then just add ugandan vanilla beans until it tastes right

Just ordered the Ugandan Vanilla bean from beanilla, hope ill get around to brewing this within the next month or so.

I have not, but I love the name and artwork and the recipe you posted looks real good and when someone shows as much love to a beer as you have in the drinkin thread and such, I feel like I can't go wrong especially with some Bomb sounding Ugandan vanilla bean added!

I have not, but I love the name and artwork and the recipe you posted looks real good and when someone shows as much love to a beer as you have in the drinkin thread and such, I feel like I can't go wrong especially with some Bomb sounding Ugandan vanilla bean added!

Well let me know when you brew it and are close to bottling, I'll send you some to compare to :D

Back