Pumpkin beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawnstr71

Reaction score
Hey all.
Gonna try doing a pumpkin beer this wknd.
Last year, I put the pumpkin in the boil. It turned out with great flavor, but never carbed up in the bottle.
Think I Wii keg this time and put pumpkin in the mash.
I have never used rice hulls before, and have heard several times, this is a good method for pumpkin brews.
My question is how much is a good amount for 5gal.s and do they go in tun before water?
Any advise appreciated.

First, put the rice hulls in your mash tun before you preheat it and add hot water to soak them good. Then drain out the water and do it again two more times to clean off the hulls. Some might not do three rinses but I've personally found doing less still leaves that rice hull smell, and if I can still smell it strongly it's probably not fully cleaned in my mind. For the pumpkin, I bake it in the oven for one hour at 350. I mash in with my grains then add the pumpkin. Been working awesome this way so far. Oh, btw I use one full pound of rice hulls.

Rev.

Thanx rev. I will try your technique

Forgot to mention even though it's common sense, stir the mash after adding the pumpkin of course. It also helps to take the temp of the pumpkin and mash in with your grains when it's very close to your mash temp so the temp doesn't get thrown off. Either way, have some boiling water in a tea kettle and some cold water from the faucet in case the temp swings too far out. I haven't yet needed to use adjustment water with taking the pumpkin temp and doing as listed above.

Rev.

Back