Pumpkin beer - Steeping the pumpkin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgs8884

Reaction score
I have a recipe i will be making for this years octoberfest. i am curious if anyone has ever steeped the baked pumpkin instead of putting it in the mash. Will the pumpkin really leave that much aroma? i dont want it to be over the top pumpkin flavor, but would like to have that pumpkin and pumpkie pie scent to the beer.:fro:

8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 61.5 %
3 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 2 23.1 %
1 lbs
Caramel Malt - 80L 6-Row (Briess) (80.0
SRM)
Grain 3 7.7 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4 7.7 %
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2.00 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 35.0 min Hop 5 81.3 IBUs
1.00 tsp Cinnamon (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 6 -
1.00 tsp Nutmeg (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 7 -
1.00 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 8 -
1.00 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 8 -
1.0 pkg
London Ale Yeast (Wyeast Labs #1028) [124.21 ml]
Yeast 9 -

I dont understand the point of steeping it,did you mean just add it at flameout? I tend to like boil and mash because of ease and unknowingness of(difference) in outcome anyway. Adding more will get you more depends how much pumpkin. You just have to be carefull how much spice/pumpkin and when you use it as far as upfrontness. Adding spice in the boil early will put it in the background where as adding it late will bring it upfront more.How much is you add is under your control.
You can always play it safe on the spices too,taste your hydrometer before bottleing and maybe add some spices at bottleing as well if needed. Your recipe seems very bitter for a pumpkin ale.

at flameout, correct. similar to how you would add hops after the boil and before going through with the wort chiller.

Back