Pumpkin Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMeister49

Reaction score
I tried a recipe for the first time using pumpkin puree. I have used regular pumpkin baked, but since its early for that, puree worked well. This actually tasted like pumpkin pie as it went into the fermenter! Pretty excited to get this one fermented out and into a keg!

8.0 oz Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 1 4.4 %
7 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 2 66.7 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 3 22.2 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.4 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.2 %
1.00 oz Cluster [7.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 21.6 IBUs
1.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35.49 ml] Yeast
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice at 0 mins
10 pounds pumpkin puree (mash)

Post your recipe! I'm pretty new to pumpkin ales, so I'm interested in seeing your recipe and hearing how it is!
I'm brewing nothern brewers smashing pumpkin ale kit with 2 cans of pumpkin and a little extra pie spice mix, last year I didn't bake the pumpkin but this year I am, it's an extract kit so I'm adding it to the last 15 mins. of boil and I'm steeping some of it at 150f I might also add some to fermentor I heard a lot of the real pumpkin ferments away and doesn't leave much flavor so I'm using it in all stages except bottling, with the spices and the extra pumpkin and cooking it before the boil to carmalize the flavor I'm hoping for more pumpkin flavor this year!, last years was good but theres always room for improvement. So I'm interested in how y'all's turns out and I'll tell you how my turns out too!

Fantastic! That's the recipe mines based off. I adjusted just a touch to my machine. Never had that one before but it has great reviews!

Nope. I added all the pumpkin into the mash. There's a ton of trub and I made a 1.5 liter starter. She's bubblin away!

Took a sample today and it has fermented out already. It is at 1.012. I took out some of the trub ( with the brew bucket ). I will let it sit for a little longer then Keg it. It has more of a tangy/sour flavor to it. I believe it is the pumpkin fermented out. Doesnt taste like pumpkin pie anymore :p But more of a fruit beer. Not bad by any means.

Back